Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
timing chain broke and bent some valves causing piston to valve (valves hit the pistons)... can the short block still be used without any repairs... had manley notched forged pistons so the pistons already had the reliefs cut in them... the marks dont look too terribly bad

·
Registered
588 Posts
timing chain broke and bent some valves causing piston to valve (valves hit the pistons)... can the short block still be used without any repairs... had manley notched forged pistons so the pistons already had the reliefs cut in them... the marks dont look too terribly bad
It depends on the damage... you gotta inspect everything. I guess if you dont know you should have a shop inspect it. Even then, sometimes there is hidden damage that you won't see until everything is back together.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Its gotta be torn down and thoroughly checked out, no other way of telling if something else is broke or something got into the oil galleys... slightly damaged pistons can be reused, but I wouldn't, obviously they are not going to be as good or strong as new ones, and even small damage creates sharp edges where cracks can form, as well as increase odds of detonation... there are a lot of reasons to not reuse them, but it really depends on the amount, type, and location of the damage, and what the engine will be expected to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys but i bought a brand new engine from ford today for my 02 gt i hope they stand behind it though cause it cost a crap load

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.