Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the tick but after reading a lot lately of engine ticks I went over to www.F150Forum.com and did some reading . No surprise, engine tick problems there too with the 5.0 trucks . But a couple of people said their dealer fixed the problem for good by replacing the timing chain tensioner they diagnosed as bad . One guy said it was the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner.
Worth checking into if you have a ticking engine .
Hope this helps someone .
Nick

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for the advice!!!

I hope someone that has it gets this!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The problem is convincing Ford this is the problem if it is and then Ford actually replacing them on their dime. Sounds like a possibility that this could make some noise but is Ford ripping off the timing covers to find out? I doubt it......

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem is convincing Ford this is the problem if it is and then Ford actually replacing them on their dime. Sounds like a possibility that this could make some noise but is Ford ripping off the timing covers to find out? I doubt it......

I had a tick/slight knock that occurred between 2000-3000 RPM's (unsure if this is the noise others have heard) that likely falls under the TSB from July 1, 2011. However, my dealer also heard the noise, compared it to another 5.0 and said it was no good.

The results....timing chain/tensioners replaced and did not help. Engine is currently undergoin eval. with Engineer guidance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You are correct... The dealer won't do a thing without Ford approval.. I think they have a problem collecting on the warranty on such issues.. What if their part replacement doesn't fix it?? Who pays then?? Ford would rather us be unhappy.. What do they care?? They got our money already...

I have heard of other folks having them changed and that fixed the tick, and others who it didn't... Who knows..

Five years from now when I no longer have a warranty.. I will figure it out and fix it my self.. Even if i have to machine some dang oil journals or something.. Lets try and have faith that someone will figure out the issue.. Develop a fix.. Or better yet the Ford enginerds will... I won't hold my breath on the latter

·
Registered
37 Posts
My stang's in the shop now with what sounded like a lifter tick. They tell me they had to make a call to Ford to diagnose it though (apparently the service techs aren't allowed to make their own diagnosis?) and a timing chain tensioner is on order. =/

I'll try to remember to update this when I get the car back for reference.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll try to remember to update this when I get the car back for reference.
:nervous:nervous:nervous:goteam

Will appreciate you posting the results

Thanks
Bruiser

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I got a call today and to pick up the car because the parts won't be in for 2-4 weeks. As soon as the parts arrive and get installed I'll post an update!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Watch it not fix it and they dump in some kinda snake oil to stop it... I just am not very optimistic when it comes to the dealer doing warranty work... Maybe they work better off the customers dime.. GOOD LUCK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts