Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it mean if snycro's are bad? what are they? what do they do?

how do you know if they are bad?
if they are bad what are the signs?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Synchronizers are components contained in a manual transmission that allow for easier shifts between gears. Prior to their invention and application in car transmissions (long ago, at the dawn of the automotive age), it was necessary to match the speed of the spinning flywheel to the unsynchronized gears in the transmission (though usually those early engines were huge, with great torque, and there were often few gears involved).

When sychronizers start to wear out shifting becomes difficult and "crunchy", particularly when the relative speeds between the rpms of the moving masses represented by the spinning flywheel and the drivetrain downstream from the transmission are not nearly the same (the closer these rpms are, the easier the shift and the less the burden on the synchronizer).

The sychro's in most Cobras (and other Mustangs) before they went to the stronger 6 speeds are a known issue, particularly in high mileage cars. These transmissions (which include the T5, T45, 3650, etc, and various iterations of each) were designed for the STOCK power output of the cars, and since most Mustangs end up being modified to deliver a lot MORE power, and are driven hard with multiple mishaps during gear changes (at least partly due to the rubbery, loose OE shifter)...

Well, the logical problems follow.

For this reason several companies have come up with stronger, upgraded replacements that will last longer and tolerate higher power levels. Installing them requires a good bit of knowledge and some special tools, and the parts are not cheap (particularly the desireable top quality upgrades). Unless you are an experienced mechanic, I would leave this work to a good transmission shop.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much are new snycros?

im not sure that its those..

but some times(not all the times) its hard to get into 1st. or R. and sumtimes into 3rd it is a little resistent.

what would that mean?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The T45 is known to have a problem going into reverse and sometimes 1st, this happened after I parked the car quite a bit on the GT I had. Pumping the clutch or letting the car roll a little got things lined up. Down shifting into first is not advisable unless you are really going that slow or almost stopped as trippleblack said when everything is not cloe it puts a real strain on things. 3rd could be the syncro or the gear has been messed up, 3rd and 2nd get abused the most when driven hard. Your best bet is to find a good tranny shop and get their opinion.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st and R. i agree. when ur parked and u wanna put it in gear its kinda like... cross thread on a bolt it feels like. roll back wards and it goes infine. so thats just how the tranny is. ic ok. 3rd. ok ya. its not BAD it just does it alil sumtimes. just kinda pushes back at me everyonce in a while. but ok thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think you have a 2001 Cobra from some other threads you have posted 2001 Cobras have the TR3650. When Ford switched from the T45 to the TR3650 there were issues with gears or syncros going bad. Changing the tranny fluid and putting a little less in than Ford did has helped some people, some people put in aftermarket shifters and the problems went aways, and some had to get them fixed. I do not have problems with going into gear but mine is nosiy I have a Tri-Ax shifter which is supposed to be noiser than stock but I got the car with it so I do not know. Ford says tranny gets 4 Quarts and I found after some internet searching that 3.2 Quarts was recomended and is what I put in mine. So just be careful and if you decide to change the fluid yourself make sure the car is level and that you can get the fill plug out be for you drain it. you can use a funnel with a long tube on it to fill it from inside the car after removing the shifter boot stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.