Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so first sorry if theres an other thread out there about this subject but i couldnt find it,

I have a 1997 cobra and when im at high rpms like after 6400 i cant get into forth gear and from 1st to 2nd it grinds pretty bad only at high rpms though, are my syncros going bad or could it be somthing else? when im driving normal shifting at 2500 rpms all gears go in nice and smooth , on occasions though it will pop out off 2nd gear? any inpute is greatly aprricated

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay so first sorry if theres an other thread out there about this subject but i couldnt find it,

I have a 1997 cobra and when im at high rpms like after 6400 i cant get into forth gear and from 1st to 2nd it grinds pretty bad only at high rpms though, are my syncros going bad or could it be somthing else? when im driving normal shifting at 2500 rpms all gears go in nice and smooth , on occasions though it will pop out off 2nd gear? any inpute is greatly aprricated

Umm. my buddy has a 98 Gt that was doing pretty much the exact same thing, and yeah his turned out to be the syncronizer. But I am sure it could be other things to, but at first guess i would say yes, its probably the syncro.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yea that definately sounds like synchros. Look for a tranny rebuild kit they're cheap as hell. I've seen trans that grind goin into second and that one needed a rebuild and one that doesn't stay in second gear and the one needs a rebuild. From what I hear its not too hard rebuilding it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yea that definately sounds like synchros. Look for a tranny rebuild kit they're cheap as hell. I've seen trans that grind goin into second and that one needed a rebuild and one that doesn't stay in second gear and the one needs a rebuild. From what I hear its not too hard rebuilding it.
yea or you could get a new t45 tranny for 700 bucks off ebay.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does anyone give a ballpark figure on what a rebuild would cost vs. buying new, I'm sure I will have this issue soon

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Look for a tranny rebuild kit they're cheap as hell.
This would be a T-45. Go for the better rebuild kit with the carbon-fiber synchro rings. Those will help in the high RPM shifts. The early T-45s had paper linings in the rings. The later ones had carbon-fiber synchros throughout.

If you are serious about doing it yourself, the T-45 isn't as easy as the T5. An assortment of pullers (or the Motorcraft kit of special tools) will be needed to get it apart and back together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn i was hoping it was somthing else :( thanks for all the input i will difinatly look for the rebuild kit or a new t45,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts