Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Mustang GT with the 6-speed manual transmission. Lately, I've noticed that on a cold start, when I take off in first gear, there is some kind of vibration/rattle under the car that feels like it is close to where the accelerator foot is, almost like something is rubbing bad. This problem is multiplied when making a left turn out of work, but also happens on a straight-away. After the engine warms up, I can't replicate the problem. This is what I'm worried about with taking it to the dealership...they won't be able to reproduce the problem if it is not a good cold start...and I really hate to be without a car for a whole day to let it sit and get cold.

Any suggestions or anyone have this problem?

Thanks,
Austin

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Mine and a whole lot of other mustangs make the same sound. It's annoying but atleast it goes away quickly. Mine almost sounds like sheet metal vibrating on something. It also only occurs at 2100-2200 rpm's & no other rpm's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine and a whole lot of other mustangs make the same sound. It's annoying but atleast it goes away quickly. Mine almost sounds like sheet metal vibrating on something. It also only occurs at 2100-2200 rpm's & no other rpm's.
Do you actually feel the rubbing feeling though? This is not just a sound, it feels like something is making contact right under my foot. And it occurs through the whole rpm band

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I think I used the wrong description of the problem...there is no rattle. There is a bad rubbing sound/feeling when accelerating which is worst at cold starts and sharp turns, but has gotten worse and now occurs even after the engine has warmed up. It's almost a feeling that there is resistance when I go to take off. I'm going to try to get into the dealership Monday, they might just have to let it get cold though and I will just have to wait around because this is my daily driver.
I checked all the exhaust points and everything is tight and stiff...nothing budged when I tried to shake it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a video clip, mostly for sound, with the camera in the floorboard. It is a little hard to differentiate the rubbing sound from the exhaust note in the video, but there are times where you can definitely hear the rubbing sound. And it is not just a sound, it almost feels like resistance when starting a turn and a lot of vibration under my feet.
You can kind of hear it at
0:04, 0:08, 0:14, and 0:24...but you really hear it at 0:32, 0:42, and 1:16.
2011 Mustang GT Premium :: 2011Mustang50RubbingNoise.mp4 video by austin101385 - Photobucket

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's a video clip, mostly for sound, with the camera in the floorboard. It is a little hard to differentiate the rubbing sound from the exhaust note in the video, but there are times where you can definitely hear the rubbing sound. And it is not just a sound, it almost feels like resistance when starting a turn and a lot of vibration under my feet.
You can kind of hear it at
0:04, 0:08, 0:14, and 0:24...but you really hear it at 0:32, 0:42, and 1:16.
2011 Mustang GT Premium :: 2011Mustang50RubbingNoise.mp4 video by austin101385 - Photobucket
Did you ever find the problem? Think I have am having the exact same issue! If I got on it in fist/second sounds like someone threw rock in a blender.......

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I'm having the same problem....I'm stumped too.

Now, I did put on an aluminum driveshaft, ds loop, lower control arms, upper arm, panhard rod and brace. My pinion angle is good. I had to remove the passanger side exhaust pipe from h-pipe to muffler, so I thought for sure that was it, but I double checked all torques and clearances last night and all is good......I'm stumped???

-Derrick

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think I'm having the same problem....I'm stumped too.

Now, I did put on an aluminum driveshaft, ds loop, lower control arms, upper arm, panhard rod and brace. My pinion angle is good. I had to remove the passanger side exhaust pipe from h-pipe to muffler, so I thought for sure that was it, but I double checked all torques and clearances last night and all is good......I'm stumped???

-Derrick

Check the clearance of the left exhaust clamp at the catalytic converter. The original guy who posted this had and issue with the bolt hitting the body under acceleration...... Just loosen it and rotated it to prevent the bolt from hitting the body of the car...... after he told me the solution I check and WHAAMY same thing problem solved :bounce2:

Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts