Ford Mustang Forum banner

Badges and their removal

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  4 stvmcqn 
#1 ·
I just bought a 66 and while cleaning up and removing wax, etc. I noticed some of the badges were loose (GT) I also took the aluminum strip off of the front of the hood to clean up the old wax. Now, I want to take the F-O-R-D letters off of the hood so I can get all of that stuff around the letters off and looking good. What is the secret to removing the letters without damaging the paint?

#2 ·
I would use a hair blower to remove the badges. Then use goo-gone, or other no alcohol based remover, with a paper towel/rag to remove the adhesive. Worked great on my 04 and didn't damage the paint.

#4 ·
the emblems on a 66 are not glued on! first you have to be able to reach the backside of the emblem. most have a push on clip that will explode when you pull it off, others have speed nuts. take your time and be careful, metal badges and letters will ruin a nice paint job if you are not careful. :bigthumbsup

#6 ·
Some of my older other make vehicles were that way. it was a patience thing to get them off.

#8 ·
I'm 64 years old and I'm tired of BS. I asked a question and expected (since it was in the tech section) I'd get an intelligent answer. I'll tell ya...some of you can't read and others think this is the 3rd grade humor section. I said my badges were loose and I want to either replace them or tighten them up. I wasn't asking how to remove die cast symbols with a hair dryer, I wasn't asking how to get rid of unused dental floss and I certainly wasn't looking for a response more common to a couple of drunks in a pool hall. Is there anyone that can tell me how to safetly remove the chrome insiginias and replace them?
Thank you

#10 ·
Thanks for an intellegent answer. I can see the points of the stubs on the F-O-R-D letters on the underside of the hood but it looks like they're held on with some kind of clip. I'm about ready to try breaking the tits off and just buying new ones...assuming the new ones will come with the fasteners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.