Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I have a 2007 GT 15,000 miles on it, I rotate every 6,000 miles. Since I hit 15K I got em balanced. I took her on the freeway and noticed a very slight vibration. We all know how our ladies drive and we pick up on the littlest things. So the vibration was barely noticeable but it wasn't smooth as before. So I went back and had them re-balanced...took it on the freeway...very noticeable shimmy..side to side with the steering wheel (dynamic balance). I took her back immediately and had them re-balance again and watched them do it.
I hit the highway on the way home praying it's all good. It was...until I was half-way home. The shimmy came back.
Anyone had this problem before?
I have 18inch wheels, polished aluminum Mustang rims.
PS~ She ran smooth with no shakes before I got her balanced.
I baby her, I watch where I drive..no pot holes no crazy snaps. Her struts, alignment and breaks are perfect...

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Tire pressure? Check the front tires.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Alright, so I have a 2007 GT 15,000 miles on it, I rotate every 6,000 miles. Since I hit 15K I got em balanced. I took her on the freeway and noticed a very slight vibration. We all know how our ladies drive and we pick up on the littlest things. So the vibration was barely noticeable but it wasn't smooth as before. So I went back and had them re-balanced...took it on the freeway...very noticeable shimmy..side to side with the steering wheel (dynamic balance). I took her back immediately and had them re-balance again and watched them do it.
I hit the highway on the way home praying it's all good. It was...until I was half-way home. The shimmy came back.
Anyone had this problem before?
I have 18inch wheels, polished aluminum Mustang rims.
PS~ She ran smooth with no shakes before I got her balanced.
I baby her, I watch where I drive..no pot holes no crazy snaps. Her
struts, alignment and breaks are perfect...
I think that it's more than likely that the tire shop did not index the wheels correctly. There are retaining washers on the studs that fit into recesses on the back of the stock wheels. If they are not lined up correctly the wheel will not run true and cause a bad vibration. I would take them back once again and have the index checked and check wheel run-out while there to see if they warped your wheels. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Warped

I think that it's more than likely that the tire shop did not index the wheels correctly. There are retaining washers on the studs that fit into recesses on the back of the stock wheels. If they are not lined up correctly the wheel will not run true and cause a bad vibration. I would take them back once again and have the index checked and check wheel run-out while there to see if they warped your wheels. Good Luck.
Good post. I was just going to point this out - I have personally had wheels warped with poor handling practices in chain stores. I WATCHED them warp the wheel in one memorable case!

I had TOLD them to be sure to use a torque wrench to tighten those wheels (expensive forged wheels in this case). Sure, ok to use the warp speed airpowered impact wrench to REMOVE them, but time to use the torque wrench set to the correct rating to INSTALL them.

When I came back to pick up the car, I was just walking in the builidng when I saw them snatch up the first wheel, and zoom-zoom, on went the nuts with the impact wrench!

I yelled at them and they looked at me like I was an idiot....

Much yelling insued, including a surreal moment when the manager insisted they NEVER used impact wrenches to replace wheels (he had to repeat his lie several times because you could not hear him over the sounds of the impact wrenches being used to replace wheels).

When I subsequently took the car for a test ride and there was a vibration on the front end (no shock, it was the passenger side front wheel that had been over-torqued with the impact wrench)...

More yelling insued. Denials. I contacted the owner (it was a franchise Midas store), and complaints were to no avail. I complained to the national company, and Midas gave me no satisfaction either...

I talked down that store for years until it finally went out of business about 2 years ago. When I saw them putting plywood over the windows and taking down the sign, I got out and did a little jib on their sidewalk.

That store is dead, and so is the one a few miles from where I live (it just went under last year)...

With any luck, more Midas stores will feel the impact of my righteous wrath from THIS post.

Long story short - they surely COULD have warped a wheel (or three).

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Interesting post tripleblack, I learned something new today, as I do everytime I come on here lol.

S

·
0 Posts
Good post. I was just going to point this out - I have personally had wheels warped with poor handling practices in chain stores. I WATCHED them warp the wheel in one memorable case!

I had TOLD them to be sure to use a torque wrench to tighten those wheels (expensive forged wheels in this case). Sure, ok to use the warp speed airpowered impact wrench to REMOVE them, but time to use the torque wrench set to the correct rating to INSTALL them.

When I came back to pick up the car, I was just walking in the builidng when I saw them snatch up the first wheel, and zoom-zoom, on went the nuts with the impact wrench!

I yelled at them and they looked at me like I was an idiot....

Much yelling insued, including a surreal moment when the manager insisted they NEVER used impact wrenches to replace wheels (he had to repeat his lie several times because you could not hear him over the sounds of the impact wrenches being used to replace wheels).

When I subsequently took the car for a test ride and there was a vibration on the front end (no shock, it was the passenger side front wheel that had been over-torqued with the impact wrench)...

More yelling insued. Denials. I contacted the owner (it was a franchise Midas store), and complaints were to no avail. I complained to the national company, and Midas gave me no satisfaction either...

I talked down that store for years until it finally went out of business about 2 years ago. When I saw them putting plywood over the windows and taking down the sign, I got out and did a little jib on their sidewalk.

That store is dead, and so is the one a few miles from where I live (it just went under last year)...

With any luck, more Midas stores will feel the impact of my righteous wrath from THIS post.

Long story short - they surely COULD have warped a wheel (or three).

Wow... that sucks. I normally don't sing the praises of any chain but I have to tell you that the service I get from my guys at my Midas is awesome. I've had brakes and other work done on all of our Mustangs and I have a great relationship with them. My experience is probably not typical of the chain. Too bad you had to deal with such idiots. They rightfully went out of business with their stupidity.

I agree, though, that we could be dealing with warped wheels here.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Alternator

Wow... that sucks. I normally don't sing the praises of any chain but I have to tell you that the service I get from my guys at my Midas is awesome. I've had brakes and other work done on all of our Mustangs and I have a great relationship with them. My experience is probably not typical of the chain. Too bad you had to deal with such idiots. They rightfully went out of business with their stupidity.

I agree, though, that we could be dealing with warped wheels here.
:bigthumbsup
You haven't heard my "Midas Alternator" story...

This actually overlapped the wheel incident.

I used to travel a lot and the alternator went bad on the 96 Taurus we had at the time. I told my wife to just take it to Midas and have them replace it.

OK, $660 later (it was a really hard install, I'll grant them that, but even so, they ain't cheap) the alternator was on, and I took the car home and parked it. I always have extra cars, and at that point the Taurus was our backup vehicle and saw little road time. Even so, I was perturbed when, a few months later, it died on the side of the road one night. Electric fuel pump, so no juice, no go.

Took it back in to Midas (after I took the battery home, charged it, and put it back in the car). They checked out the Alternator, pronounced it fit, and we jointly decided it was probably just the battery was weak (though odd that it had readily held a charge).

I took to trickle charging the battery, and so long as I did this and rarely drove the car, no problems, for another 4 months, then...

Dead on the side of the road one night, again.

Same routine, no joy, Alternator is "fine".

Only this time I had some time, so I decided to remove the alternator and check things out myself.

What a job! Took it out, trotted down to AutoZone with her, and put it on the tester. Guy said "Looks good, 90 amps, its running fine".

I actually had it in the floorboard and was backing out to go home, when the "90 Amps" ran through my head.

The car needed a 130 Amp alternator. The 90 amp was for the regular 3.0, and my car had the DOHC 3.0!

I had been fighting an undependable car and busting my knuckles because Midas had installed the wrong part in my car!

(Of course, the incident with the wheel happened about a week BEFORE I solved the "Midas alternator mystery".)

Needless to say, another round of shouting and complaints up and down the food chain netted me squat, and I even got to dig deep and buy a new 130 amp alternator (the AutoZone guys were quite bemused to get an essentially new alternator in exchange for their unit, but hey, a core is a core at that point).

Midas is like EVERY franchised chain - it is only as good as your local operator PLUS however much the national chain will stand behind its name.

I'm glad you have a good local store, but keep in mind, should you ever need the national chain to show integrity, it won't happen. They got a 2-fer with me, what with the sneaky alternator (by the way, they charged me for the more EXPENSIVE item, too). No more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try To Find A Shop That Does A Road Force Balance. And Have Them Check The Balance. A Road Force Balance Puts The Tires Under A Load To More Accurately Balance Tires

S

·
0 Posts
You haven't heard my "Midas Alternator" story...

This actually overlapped the wheel incident.

I used to travel a lot and the alternator went bad on the 96 Taurus we had at the time. I told my wife to just take it to Midas and have them replace it.

OK, $660 later (it was a really hard install, I'll grant them that, but even so, they ain't cheap) the alternator was on, and I took the car home and parked it. I always have extra cars, and at that point the Taurus was our backup vehicle and saw little road time. Even so, I was perturbed when, a few months later, it died on the side of the road one night. Electric fuel pump, so no juice, no go.

Took it back in to Midas (after I took the battery home, charged it, and put it back in the car). They checked out the Alternator, pronounced it fit, and we jointly decided it was probably just the battery was weak (though odd that it had readily held a charge).

I took to trickle charging the battery, and so long as I did this and rarely drove the car, no problems, for another 4 months, then...

Dead on the side of the road one night, again.

Same routine, no joy, Alternator is "fine".

Only this time I had some time, so I decided to remove the alternator and check things out myself.

What a job! Took it out, trotted down to AutoZone with her, and put it on the tester. Guy said "Looks good, 90 amps, its running fine".

I actually had it in the floorboard and was backing out to go home, when the "90 Amps" ran through my head.

The car needed a 130 Amp alternator. The 90 amp was for the regular 3.0, and my car had the DOHC 3.0!

I had been fighting an undependable car and busting my knuckles because Midas had installed the wrong part in my car!

(Of course, the incident with the wheel happened about a week BEFORE I solved the "Midas alternator mystery".)

Needless to say, another round of shouting and complaints up and down the food chain netted me squat, and I even got to dig deep and buy a new 130 amp alternator (the AutoZone guys were quite bemused to get an essentially new alternator in exchange for their unit, but hey, a core is a core at that point).

Midas is like EVERY franchised chain - it is only as good as your local operator PLUS however much the national chain will stand behind its name.

I'm glad you have a good local store, but keep in mind, should you ever need the national chain to show integrity, it won't happen. They got a 2-fer with me, what with the sneaky alternator (by the way, they charged me for the more EXPENSIVE item, too). No more.

Thanks for the scoop Trip and sorry for your troubles. I'll keep an eye on my local guys but so far so good.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had this same problem myself. Try having the tire itself checked it might be that the tire has a broken belt and is what is causing your shimmy. A balance wouldn't be able to catch the problem, nor solve it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make certain they used the right cone attachment when balancing the tires.
I just purchased new tires and I had a very slight shake in the steering wheel so I brought them back.
The owner checked one of them and it was way out of balance.

He rebalanced all 4, they were all way out, and they are fine now.

Bottom line was the technician was new and he used the wrong cone or spacer of whatever that thing is they put on the end of the machine to snug down the wheel.

I have 17 inch bullitts on my 2003 FWIW.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had this same problem myself. Try having the tire itself checked it might be that the tire has a broken belt and is what is causing your shimmy. A balance wouldn't be able to catch the problem, nor solve it.
I've been down that road too.
Shifted belt in a brand new tire caused havoc.

Also, look at the tire when they balance it on the machine and make sure it is perfectly round and not egg shaped or out of round.

Watch when the tech lifts the guard and take note of the top of the tire to make sure it is not going up and down.

You will never be able to balance a tire like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.