Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to use a Bama SCT to set TPMS? I didn't think so but I figured I'd check before buying the TPMS Transmitter tool from AM.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
No, won't do anything for TPMS.

My understanding is you don't really need the tool for the 2010+ cars.

At the least you could get it done at a tire store.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My experience is that the TPMS warning light only goes off if you have a paired sensor that gets a low pressure warning. If you have a complete absence of sensors, your light won't go off.

B

·
0 Posts
My experience is that the TPMS warning light only goes off if you have a paired sensor that gets a low pressure warning. If you have a complete absence of sensors, your light won't go off.
This response is slightly confusing to me. Are you saying that if no sensors are installed that the tpms light will not be displayed if you are tuned?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This response is slightly confusing to me. Are you saying that if no sensors are installed that the tpms light will not be displayed if you are tuned?
That's what I'm saying. I bought sensors for my summer wheels not knowing any better. I had them installed with the tires. When I installed them in the spring I never paired them. So they're not paired to my vehicle. They can't pair themselves. I've driven 3 months without a warning.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Is there any way to use a Bama SCT to set TPMS? I didn't think so but I figured I'd check before buying the TPMS Transmitter tool from AM.
Unfortunately being TPMS is federally mandated, the SCT handheld cannot disable or even access the module.

2010+ Mustangs self learn the sensors & do not require a training tool. If you are getting a light you may actually have a low tire or one of the sensors may have been damaged/defective. Please give us a call & we'll work with you to solve the light!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Interesting. That's good to know and explains why I don't haves light even though I didn't pair mine. It's strange that it didn't throw it at all to begin with. Must learn it immediately.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Interesting. That's good to know and explains why I don't haves light even though I didn't pair mine. It's strange that it didn't throw it at all to begin with. Must learn it immediately.
The Ford literature is pretty sketchy on the time frame, etc. but I would venture to guess that after a couple of miles of driving it has picked up the new sensor frequencies.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll double check the pressure today. The tires were the previous 275/40/18 Sumitomo HTR ZIII's that came with the SVT GT500 wheels. Any idea on the pressure range for the sensors and what I should be running? I did check them before I put them on, but I'd be guessing if I said I knew what they were at. They definitely don't look low or drive like it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'll double check the pressure today. The tires were the previous 275/40/18 Sumitomo HTR ZIII's that came with the SVT GT500 wheels. Any idea on the pressure range for the sensors and what I should be running? I did check them before I put them on, but I'd be guessing if I said I knew what they were at. They definitely don't look low or drive like it.
32psi @ 70° ambient temperature is the recommended inflation pressure. If one tire is as little as 2psi lower than the others, the warning light will come on.

I was able to determine that the TPMS sensors transmit data to the module approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle is traveling above 20mph.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It works off of a pressure differential though, right?

If all 4 tires are equally low then you get no warning?
Here is the "Description & Operation" portion of the Ford Service manual concerning TPMS. If I'm reading it right, it is also looking at all pressures, not just a differential.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

NOTE: The Smart Junction Box (SJB) is also identified as the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) includes:

the SJB, TPMS functionality is integrated within the SJB.
four valve stem mounted tire pressure sensors.
an Instrument Cluster (IC) indicator.
a message center (if equipped).

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Module

The SJB contains the TPMS functionality. Refer to Tire Pressure Monitoring System in Diagnosis and Testing for TPMS fault diagnosis and repair.

The SJB compares the information of each tire pressure sensor transmission against a pressure limit. If the SJB determines that the tire pressure has fallen below the low limit, the SJB communicates this to the IC on the vehicle communication bus.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Pressure Sensor

The SJB monitors the air pressure in the 4 road tires with tire pressure sensors. The sensors transmit radio frequency signals to the SJB approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph).

The tire pressure sensors are battery operated and are mounted to the valve stem.

Instrument Cluster (IC) and Message Center

The IC illuminates the TPMS indicator when it receives a message from the TPMS to do so and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).

The IC and message center are diagnosed and serviced in their own respective workshop manual sections. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 413 for the procedure.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Next time I change my tires, (in just a month or so) Im pulling the TPMS sensors and trying the quick fix of throwing them into a PVC pipe and pressurizing it to 35psi and seting it in the trunk. Im changing tires and wheels alot lately and Im tired of paying to have the TPMS sensors mounted everytime. In the long run it'll save me hundreds. I just hope it works.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Next time I change my tires, (in just a month or so) Im pulling the TPMS sensors and trying the quick fix of throwing them into a PVC pipe and pressurizing it to 35psi and seting it in the trunk. Im changing tires and wheels alot lately and Im tired of paying to have the TPMS sensors mounted everytime. In the long run it'll save me hundreds. I just hope it works.
Why not just get another set of TPMS sensors for your other wheels? I tried the PVC pipe gig on my 07, & it didn't work. If the sensors don't detect movement, they go to sleep. If there is no movement, they don't wake up.

Your mileage may vary though, as I seem to remember a couple of people claiming success.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Its how often I change tires also. I dont get much life out of my tires. And what do you mean by detact movement? they can tell when the tire is spinning?

·
Registered
883 Posts
And on a side note why dont you guys answer your phone at LRS? I need to track an order for a new RTR wheel thats been on order for a month and a half. I thought you guys were getting them in last Monday but I guess that didn t happen.

·
Registered
606 Posts
And on a side note why dont you guys answer your phone at LRS? I need to track an order for a new RTR wheel thats been on order for a month and a half. I thought you guys were getting them in last Monday but I guess that didn t happen.
We answer the phone from 8am to 6pm Monday -Thursday, 8am to 5pm on Friday, & 8am to noon on Saturday, central time. Now we do have call peaks, so if you leave a message, you'll get a call back within an hour at the most.

RTRs are still due in, the've been jerking us around on an ETA for while now.

PM me your info & I'll forward it to the sales supervisor. You'll recieve a call from him tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Im just giving you a hard time about the phone calls. I know you guys are busy. and no need to forward information it'll get here a day after you get them so ill just wait. lol

·
Registered
606 Posts
Im just giving you a hard time about the phone calls. I know you guys are busy. and no need to forward information it'll get here a day after you get them so ill just wait. lol
Thats cool man :cheers

& to answer your question about movement, the rotation of the tires is what wakes up the sensor after it enters sleep mode. The sleep mode is to extend battery life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts