Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a JLT intake with a Bama 93R tune and just got a CEL. When I pulled the codes, I got P0171 and P0174 meaning I am running too lean. I have driven the car with JLT intake and Bama 93R tune for several thousands of miles without a problem. I'm wondering if the heat and the hills I've been driving in have caused an issue. I am normally at sea level, so would being a few thouand feet up cause a difference and lack of adaptation of the ECU quickly enough?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you have any vacuum leaks? IT CANT BE THE TUNE OR INTAKE. the cel wouldve come on a long time ago.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Have you tried clearing the codes and driving it to see if they come back?

Could just be a hiccup or glitch from one of the O2's.

Try it and see.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The codes you mentioned indicate "both" of the O2 sensors - one before each catalytic converter - reported the lean burn situation. As mentioned, it could have been a "glitch," but probably not both sensors reporting the same code in error. It could have been a glitch in the fuel supply, temporarily limiting the fuel pressure to the injectors. There is a "lot of adjustability" in the fuel rate, so it isn't likely that a couple of thousand feet of elevation would make a difference. I doubt that BAMA limits the range of the fuel adjustment, but I would make the call and check that issue.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleared the codes with my tuner. I don't think anything is wrong with the car either. I'll double check the intake but haven't changed anything under the hood for over 5,000 miles. Maybe something got loose.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
That's odd. The MAF sensor and o2 sensor feedback would pick up a difference in altitude/density and you shouldn't really have any problems. Take a look and see if it's possible that the coupler between the throttle body and intake didn't pop off or start leaking. That un-metered air would do it.

Also, clearing the code and simply re-tuning over top of the stock tune would be a good idea. See if the problem comes back, then. It's possible it was just a glitch in the altitude change. If it comes back, call the Bama team and they can help diagnose to make sure it isn't a mechanical problem and go from there!

Make sure to keep us in the loop!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything looks in order under the hood. The codes have not come back, but I've only driven it 20 miles since clearing them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i just got the P0171 code yesterday right after i pumped gas at a station i never really go top but it was the closest but the car doesn't run funny or anything. ran the system check on the car and everything passed. i changed to the 87p tune thinking maybe i accidently put in 87 octane (i didn't thought after checking the receipt) and it went but came back on today. could the gas i pumped have caused it or would that just be one hell of a coincidence?

·
Registered
359 Posts
i just got the P0171 code yesterday right after i pumped gas at a station i never really go top but it was the closest but the car doesn't run funny or anything. ran the system check on the car and everything passed. i changed to the 87p tune thinking maybe i accidently put in 87 octane (i didn't thought after checking the receipt) and it went but came back on today. could the gas i pumped have caused it or would that just be one hell of a coincidence?
Where'd you buy your gas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you really got on the gas lately? Every time I floor mine, I get a CEL within 20 miles of flooring it. I think that maybe the MAF has trouble metering everything when the throttle is wide open.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay it just happened again immediately after filling up at a station I don't use only because I had to. Same exact codes so I'm thinking it's the gas. I cleared the codes and will try to burn up the fuel I have with a stock tune.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I filled up at a Valero 93 octane P2195 code returned for too lean on my O2 when tune installed

I returned to stock and my car idled rough and stalled, it does drive, but acts like it's not getting enough fuel.

I then updated my SCT to the latest drivers, and reinstalled my 93p tune, it lasted a little bit, then through a P2195 code again.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're not going to believe this but I also filled up at a Valero around Lawrenceville VA with 93. Less than a mile later my CEL came on but the car drove normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts