Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if 6.5" coaxial speakers will fit in our base model 2011 Mustangs?

I believe the stock speakers in my base model 2011 GT are 6 x 8. There are limited options for aftermarket coaxials in this size, so I'm looking to see if 6.5" speakers will fit. I know 5 x 7s will, but I'm afraid that dropping down from the roughly ~1 inch extra area in a 6 x 8 will decrease the lower end output of the speaker. I won't be getting a subwoofer, or a separate amp, or an aftermarket head unit - just a speaker replacement, so I need to find ones with some good low end. Collective internet audio knowledge suggests 6.5" (round) speakers will have the best SQ, all other things equal.

I'm thinking of Image Dynamics coaxials (used to have an IDQ subwoofer from them - most incredible sound quality for the money I've ever heard), or perhaps the Polk MM series. I'm wanting an upgrade that's worth the money, but want to retain the somewhat bass-heavy attribute of the stock speakers.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i have the base head unit and 4 speakers. I installed a set of PIONEER TS-D6802 up front and this made a huge improvement on the overall sound quality. Those speaker don't lack bass either, in fact, i want to remove some of that low bass in the doors since i am installing a sub in the trunk. And those 6x8 have a full crossover built-in and are very nicely build too. Love them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts