Ford Mustang Forum banner

Basic Dip Stick Question / help

9K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  mallen 
#1 ·
Just checked the oil level on my car after washing it (engine off ~15 minutes) and there was almost no oil on the dip stick, just a little at the tip; repeated 3 times. So I went to get oil, brought it home, and now the oil level on the dip stick is different every time I check it (checked about 10 times - ranging from 1 minute - 60 minutes after turning the engine off), but most of the time there is at least some oil which reaches ABOVE the max oil level...Im completely confused. Any suggestions for accurate reading? The car has 5800 miles. In comparison my Honda has a nice meniscus level which is super easy to understand...

Thanks.

#2 ·
I would run the engine for 15 minutes or so. Drive around the block to get the oil warmed up. Then park it on level ground. Wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan, and then read the oil level. It needs to be in the hash marks.

#3 ·
real beeotch to get a decent mark on these dipsticks...tube doesn't drain for squat

as long as oil fills the lower hole on the dipstick, and doesn't fill the upper hole, you're good

as soon as you uncover the lower hole, add a qt

is this the first time you've checked the oil level? how much did you add?

some, including mine, go through quite a bit in the first 10K or so...I went through a quart ~ every 1500 miles for the first 5-6K, then it calmed down

#4 ·
of course, ensure you do like you did to check...normal running temp and car has set for 15 minutes after shutting off and on a level surface

#5 ·
Yes I know its pathetic that I just thought of checking the oil level. The engine runs well, temp is good, no lights flashing...and I just didn't think of it. No excuse.

Anyway, the oil level is different based on how you insert it. If I turn the dip stick 180 degrees with hash marks facing the outside of the engine bay, the oil level is below the minimum...if I turn the hash marks towards the engine side, the oil level is above the max.

wtf?

#6 ·
suggest you check again, the way I said....wipe dipstick, re insert then remove...does oil fill the lower hole only?

#7 ·
how much did you add?

if you have oil now covering the upper hole, assuming you've done a proper check, you've over filled and should drain some

#9 ·
I didn't add any yet. Have 3 quarts of full synth Mobil 1 waiting.

Like I said, it looks low when hash marks are facing the engine but Ok when facing away from engine by rotating dip stick 180 degrees.

Check out the pix.

THANKS !!!

Attachments

#10 ·
The pics looked like my dipstick @ ~1000 miles when I first checked my oil. Added 1.5 qts and its been sitting in the middle ever since -(now about 3400miles) It is tough checking even if the car has sat for 30mins after running. I usually check mine after a good 8 hrs or in the morning.

#11 ·
looks like you've got ~ 1/4" coverage on the dipstick and no oil filling the lower hole?

If so, I'd suggest adding 1 full qt, running until normal temp, shutting down and re check after 15 minutes.

I'd guess you'll still not have any oil filling the lower hole and will need to add a 2nd qt. Repeat...you may even end up having to add that 3rd qt...be aware it's not good to over fill, either

Again, I've given up on trying to get a mark on the stick, other than to simply ensure the lower hole on the dipstick is filled.

By the way for those that think they can get a good read when cold...all I know is oil expands when hot/warm and the owners manual tells you to check at normal op temp after engine has been shutdown for 15 minutes, and it's been routine for years to check the oil level this way...although until I got the Coyote, 5 minute wait has always been adequate.

#12 ·
btw, how long do you plan to run between oil changes?

I know all about the oil life monitor and the manual stating you may be able to run up to 10k miles between changes.

10K seems like a lot to ask to me, though.

Got a recommended service interval sheet for the 2012 Mustang from my dealer and their suggested change interval is 5K miles.

Myself, I buy Mobile 1 5w20 from Walmart in 5 qt jugs for ~ $24/each, keep my receipts and and change every 5K miles.

#13 ·
Best way to get a consistent level check is first thing in the morning before you start the engine. Never check oil in an engine that has only been partially warmed up. You will also notice that because the dipstick enters the crankcase at an angle, you will get a slightly different level on each side of the dipstick. The lower reading (the side of the dipstick closest to the center of the engine) will be the most accurate.

#15 ·
I changed my oil at 4k, I just didn't trust that 10k for the first oil change. If you just do an oil change now, you could drain all oil, then add the 8 quarts, then check the oil level after the oil change and you'd know exactly where on that stick its perfect, plus you'd have freshly changed oil and probably a happier engine.

#16 ·
that's a real good point...except you need to buy 5 more qts and a good filter...if you do this I'd measure what you drain, too, to see how low you were, although remember the oil inside the filter

and you do know, like TL just said, this is an 8 qt system, right?

#17 ·
plus, it's already 8p Sunday night in Texas...if I were you and didn't feel like an oil change tonight, I'd simply do as I've suggested to ensure you've got proper oil level, biting the bullit on the cost of 2-3 qts of oil. Then change the oil and filter as soon as you have time and do it every 5K miles at most.

I may even begin to change mine more frequently...I don't race it but like to get on it quite a bit...will see how the oil looks the next change interval.

#18 · (Edited)
Problem solved. The dip stick hash marks should point away from the engine for proper reading ( at least in my case)...it became obvious as I added 1.5 quarts of oil. A nice meniscus level settled just below mid mark (between the holes [min/max]).

To those who asked, I am not planning an oil change until my car tells me to do it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am following ford recommendations.

Thanks to all for your help! I have never seen a dip stick like this one, and its probably because as Steve mentioned the dipstick enters the crankcase at an angle...

:bigthumbsup

#20 ·
Your warranty is safe if you follow Fords recommendations and change it when the indicator says to. I think with that large capacity and synthetic blend they use your fine with that.

It certainly wont HURT to change it more often though if that's what some people choose. It can only help or do nothing.

#19 ·
cool...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.