Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I've neglected to check underneath that red rubber cover on the positive terminal on the battery since I've had the car (Oct. 2010).

I finally needed to change the battery and this is what I found...

That is what it looked like AFTER I cleaned it up. Before, it was completely covered in gooey blue crystals.

Half of the connection was already eaten away. Taking it off the terminal snapped what was remaining right off the cable aggregator thing.

After finding out that Ford only sells the part as a $200 complete positive cable set...

Behold! Positive Battery Terminal Mark I!

Used copper wire, wrapped around one of the screwed-down connections on the plate, wrap around the terminal, wrap back around the plate connection again, wrap around the terminal again. Slap a hose clamp on the terminal.

Not sure how permanent this is...or can be. Planning to check it once in a while to see how it's doing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Um...... go to autozone and buy a real terminal for 7 dollars. wtf.gif Current setup is a failure waiting to happen.

click here

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, looks like I didn't Internet hard enough. Thanks for that.

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
Um...... go to autozone and buy a real terminal for 7 dollars. wtf.gif Current setup is a failure waiting to happen.

click here
^^^I agree, & while you are there, pick up a pack of those green & red felt washers that go on the battery posts under the connectors. They help keep corrosion at bay. Also, if you start getting corrosion on a battery terminal, just pour some soda like 7UP or ginger ale on it & it will come right off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh cool, didn't know 7UP works too. Buddy told me to use baking soda. There's still a good amount of corrosion caked into the connector so I'll try that. Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
Oh cool, didn't know 7UP works too. Buddy told me to use baking soda. There's still a good amount of corrosion caked into the connector so I'll try that. Thanks!
Yes it works. If you have some stubborn residue, just use a mall bristle brush with the soda, also- baking soda does work:bigthumbsup, but, 7UP is pretty strong stuff. If I remember correctly from my school days (wayyy back when:rollgrin:), they used to put a nail in a bottle of that stuff & it would eat it over a period of time. I wonder what it does to your stomach?fortune.gif

·
Registered
30 Posts
Damn, looks like I didn't Internet hard enough. Thanks for that.
LOL If you need help with anything electrical, hit me up. I am an aircraft electrician by trade, but I love wrenching on cars. Sorry if I came off rude...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Personally I wouldn't pour soda into my engine bay. I use Windex. The ammonia counteracts the acid so it's inert and won't eat into your other stuff. It also makes less of a mess.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
+1 baking soda vote....old school enough I cover the terminals in a bit of grease it seals out the air and seems to eliminate corrosion. Yeah the parts store connectors for cheap compared to $200!

I did like the jury rig but fix it................

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Baking soda works, so does coca cola actually, it does a very good job cleaning terminals. As Ken said get the felt washers, and/or some terminal treatment. It comes in a small spray can and is like a heavy paint, works well to keep the terminals clean for a long time.

Seems like a lot of corrosion for a car not very old, how does everything else under the hood look?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Found the same thing on our 2011 V6 last week. Battery was starting to go(3 1/2 years and 12k miles), so bought a replacement and found the corroded terminal. Cleaned it up, put in the new battery, good to go. Also added the felt terminal rings and protective lube.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Baking soda works, so does coca cola actually, it does a very good job cleaning terminals. As Ken said get the felt washers, and/or some terminal treatment. It comes in a small spray can and is like a heavy paint, works well to keep the terminals clean for a long time.

Seems like a lot of corrosion for a car not very old, how does everything else under the hood look?
I couldn't find any other signs of corrosion/rust. I'm in southern California, so this kind of stuff isn't typically a huge problem. I was pretty surprised when I saw it...I've never seen it so bad on my previous cars.

The only thing I can think of is since the battery is near the back edge of the hood, water got in during a rainstorm or car wash and just sat there inside the rubber cover. Oh...and maybe not bothering to check it for 3 years. duh.gif

In any case, I think these epoxy-coated terminals and this spray you mentioned are in my near future.

I gotta say though, I'm pretty proud of my DIY terminal...but yea, I know the slightest bit of corrosion is going to destroy it immediately. And I really don't want to deal with that again...that stuff was just SO NASTY. ack.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts