Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone: Just a quick question and I will get back out to the garage! Has anyone installed a battery cutoff switch on their car? I just went through the 'old' ghost draw situation and am a little gunshy about not unhooking the battery when the car will be sitting for a few days. I have been told that the cutoff will alleviate that worry...if so, how do i hook it up?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Depending what you have done to your car, disconnecting the battery might reset things ( stereo for example ). If your battery is going dead after a few days, something else is wrong.

·
Registered
351 Posts
there are battery terminal turn nob off switches, or if you want to cut it from inside the car, the switch ur going to use will require a very high amp?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Styx. Having a battery cutoff is really a smart thing to have. Since you are looking for a battery "ghost" draw a cut-off switch would be handy anyway while troubleshooting or installing new wiring. NAPA, Summit, and others have them.

Don't go cheap. I started out with the "cheapo" green knob type. They are subject to the weather/salt air, especially on the Coast of Florida. I was always cleaning/wire brushing them just to drive home from a show or shopping. There also some cheaper Chinese fakes that fall apart when you remove the knob totally to clean it, (although they all might be made in China). I switched to a Taylor and got one of the really good ones. They sell for 32 bucks and on up. I think some of them take up to 150 continuous amps. Here's a cut from an ad at Summit:
These Taylor 2-post battery disconnect switches positively shut off all of the current from the batteries in the event of a short or an accident. They meet NHRA safety requirement rule 8:4 for power cut-off switches. The Taylor 2-post battery disconnect switches are especially useful when charging and include a vinyl decal.

If I'm at a car show, I take the plastic battery switch "key" with me and always turn it off first before correcting/installing wiring. And if I should smell smoke while driving or just starting the car up, I can very quickly pull over/turn that battery switch key to "off" a lot faster than trying to find a metal wrench and loosening the battery bolt-on. BE sure to fully insulate the two terminals on the back of the switch between the battery cable. Like I said in other posts, when I get back home I'll be able to post pics. A pic can say so much more than words sometimes.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
86 Posts
Styx, here's some more info on battery disconnects. You can shop at Nextag.com for comparable prices too. And they have some that go up to a 250 continuous amp rating. Here's just one by Taylor: Taylor Mustang Master Disconnect Relocation Battery Switch

Direct Power Cutoff. The Taylor Master Disconnect Switch is designed to cutoff the power of your mustangs entire electrical system in the event of an accident or electrical short. 2-Post Switch. This 2-Post Master Disconnect Switch is rated for 180 amp continuous capacity and is especially useful during battery charging. Complies with NHRA Rules. The NHRA requires a Master Battery Disconnect Switch on all Modified and Super Stock class vehicles to comply with their rule 8:4.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My Dad has a relay cut-off for the battery. The only two circuits that are not cut off are the relay cut-off itself, and the radio memory. He has a micro switch that he uses to control the relay. It is a pretty cool setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts