Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my lights on and drained the battery. I turned the key, and all I here is a weird clicking noise in the engine, which eventually stopped after keeping the key turned for a couple of minutes. So I grab a portable battery charger pack, and hook it up. I turned the key to accessory position, and all the lights come on and I hear the chime noise as usual. I turn the key and its not enough juice to turn it over, but the I hear the engine try. I hooked the battery to two different running vehicles at a time with jumper cables, and I do not even have the lights come on when I turn the key, nothing at all, dead. The only way I could get the car started was with an industrial battery charger/starter which plugs into an electrical socket of a building. I drove home and did not turn the car off until I got home. As I turned onto my block, the radio completely died, the lcd display turns off, and pops back on after 20 seconds. This happens 4 times, and as soon as I turned that car off, it never started again. The battery was dated new at September 2009, with a three year warranty. It is an Everlast. I went to Wal-Mart and got a new battery, and no issues now. I just wonder, is this normal for a battery to get to a point where it does not keep a charge after only one year? My Buicks battery is at least 5 years old and still works like new.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Automotive batteries are not meant to be deep cycled. Which is to say that if you drain them completely, like by leaving lights on, and let them set for a few hours they will go bad. It’s not necessarily a reflection on the battery manufacturer. If you still had it laying around you could try de-sulfating it for a couple of days, not worth the headache in my opinion though, just replace it. Note: you may want to check that charging system out if it started to die like that while running.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, once it does go bad, a bad battery sometimes wont take any charge at all. walmart doesnt have a very good track record with those batteries, but they will prorate or replace it with no hassles. ive got 2-3 yr diehards( not even the good ones) in my old truck now going on 9 yrs old, still crankin. :) to me it was worth the couple bucks extra to put the dh gold in the stang and not worry about it for years to come :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Battery dying problems!

Yeah, i had the same problem, i was driving the whole day without any problems, then when i turn off the car at the gas station, it wouldn't start back up, this lady tried to give me a jump but nothing happen, so i was stranded at the gas station, this guy with a 07 mustang gt mustang offer to help me, so he took me to buy a new battery, i drop it in and the car started without any problems, i went to a mechanic and he told me it wasn't my alternator, it was charging fine, he said i have electrical problems, very common for the 2005 mustangs, he said something is draining your battery, when the car is sitting for awhile, not driven but when you drive the car, its charging fine, so i disconnect my negative cable at night time, so i won't drain the new battery, like it did the other one, i still haven't found out the problem yet, i'm trying to avoid taking my mustang to the dealer on hopes i can fix it myself:gringreen!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.