Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery Drain by Basslink and other subs

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Black05Pony 
#1 ·
I wonder how difficult it is to provide just a remote on/off switch to basslink or other sub-woofers.
instead we use remote turn on signals and there;s so much of talk on this to find out exact location.
i think its better to isolate the power of the subwoofers rather than relying on the remote turn ons. ofcourse they help by automatic turn ons but that drains out battery too.
I never found anyone applying a swtich between subwoofer (amplified ) and battery.
What you guys think of ? is there any challenge doing that ? i think thats the ultimate control.

Battery - > --/ON-OFF SWITCH -> Basslink

#3 ·
The remote turn on wire, blue, is just a signal source.. Its is not a constant draw... The only time it ever pulls is when your key is in ACC or full turn.. It has such a minimal draw upon the battery you will never know its even there... If your having battery draining issues, it sounds like other item related...

#4 ·
I'm running three amps and 4 subwoofers with total system power at 1300Wrms+. I just swapped out to a Red Top, but the stock battery could handle this without any issues.

You may have some other issues because the system shouldn't be draining your battery when the car is off.

#6 ·
I have a Basslink II with remote turn on installed. I found the +12v on a wiring harness on the passenger side near the kick panel. It works great. On when they key is on, off when they key is off. I never have battery drain issues.

#8 ·
Remote turn on is the way to go. The 12v only goes through when the key is in and turned foward or on. This is to prevent battery drain. if you get a volt meter you should be able to find it very easily. Have to run a cable up to the front from your amp to the receiver if you dont have one in your trunk already.

If your battery is being drained when your amp is not on, there is probably something hooked up wrong and its grounding out poorly or something. The amp has power going to it constantly even if it isnt turned on. Hard to say without knowing how you have it hooked up.

How do you have it grounded? And how and where is your main power cable ran?

#9 ·
If your head unit doesn't have a remote + wire for subwoofer support then you can still splice into the switched 12v wire on the head unit.

It's pretty much the same effect, off when the car is off, on when the car is on.

And in case you didn't know, the 05+'s radios stay on for like 10 minutes after the car is shut off or until you open one of the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.