Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my mustang and want to take care of the battery draining.

I have noticed that after about a week of sitting the car battery goes dead. Its got a new alternator and the battery passes the test at Autozone.

When I hook up a test light in series with the negative batttery cable, the light stays on. I pulled all fuses, one at a time, but the light still stays on! If I disconnect the battery terminal, I can come back in a week and start the car no problem...

I hooked up a digital multimeter (in mA/DC mode) and I'm reading 0.008 mA. I hear 50 mA is the maximum allowable draw...

I'm not sure what is going on here but my last idea is that it is my old school clifford alarm. When I connect the test light, I notice that the light on the motion sensor(?) is lit in the footspace of the driver side.

Note that the draining occurs when the alarm is not armed.

any ideas?

I'm thinking about having the alarm removed or disconnected from power. I dont want to teach the community how to bypass alarm systems but is there a way that I can disconnect the alram from the battery source?

What would it cost to have an alarm shop electrically disconnect the alarm system from the battery?

Feed me your ideas!

Thanks,

·
Registered
924 Posts
haven't pulled the fuses but mine does the same **** but it only takes about 8 hrs and i have a over the road truck battery on it one of the big ones..... im confused ass hell

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
How old is your alternator?

When mine went bad it would drain the battery when it would sit for the week. Unplug the cables coming from the alternator and leave everything else plugged in.

Come back after the amount of time that it normally goes dead and see if it starts or not.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got my alarm removed and picked up a new battery but the test light still comes on when it is connected in series with the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal.

I also notice that the starter motor took longer to crank the engine after it sat for about an hour.

I took out the dome light, engine bay light and the glove box light is out. Also, the sun visor light is not causing the drain. The alternator tests good. I also disconnected the terminals to the alternator but the test light still indicates that there is a drain.

anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Dude, I've had this problem myself for the past 15 years and I've scoured the entire car and cannot find it. Best thing I could do was to undo the battery if I don't drive it everyday.

One guy said to check the ignition switch. Wasn't my problem, but it could be yours. Check that out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
like someone else said charge ur battery unplug ur alternator and let it sit , if all is good the alternator has somethin drawing the battery down

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. It turned out to be the lighted mirror on the drivers side sunvisor. The fabric came loose and allowed the cover to hang down when the visor was in the up position. I had already removed the alarm system from my car(which was a PITA).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts