Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '01 GT and the battery keeps going dead. the battery and alternator tested good. i hooked up a test light from the ground cable to the ground post on the battery. the light was on. i started pulling fuses and the light went out when i removed a 40 A fuse in the power distribution box. the owners manual labeled the fuse instrument cluster, pcm. if anybody knows what might be wrong, please let me know
thanks

G

·
rirvan79 said:
I have a '01 GT and the battery keeps going dead. the battery and alternator tested good. i hooked up a test light from the ground cable to the ground post on the battery. the light was on. i started pulling fuses and the light went out when i removed a 40 A fuse in the power distribution box. the owners manual labeled the fuse instrument cluster, pcm. if anybody knows what might be wrong, please let me know
thanks

Hope u figure it out. Mine has the SAME problem. I have to unhook it everytime i dont drive it more then a day or it will die. I got a new battery at first thinking that was the problem. Still died, Got another one and still died. ALternator tested out good and there are no trunk lights, etc sticking on when the doors are shut. And back when i messed with the fuses, which was like 2 years ago, i am pertty sure the same fuse would go out too, i mean the test light, when it was pulled. I gave up and just disconnected it each time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That fuse may also work the fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel pump relay with the test light hooked up and see if the relay is the problem. To be going dead that quickly, it must be a serious draw. I have seen alternator regulators draw down batteries, but they will usually be a draw that doesn't go away when fuses pulled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i pulled all of the relays out and none of them turned off the test light. i was told it may be a battery saver relay, i have never heard of it and cannot locate it

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Have you done anything to the car that would relocate any sensors?. Man honestly, I would take this to a shop to have it looked at. The electrical systems on these cars are nothing short of a mystery to most people. There are countless places a ground could occur and you would never find it because half of them are in the undercarriage somewhere or in a fenderwell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as far as i know, nothing has been done to the car, it was purchased a couple of months ago and i havent done anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.