Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having several little problems with my 88 gt over the last couple months, backfiring under hard load, high idle, throttle hesitation off of idle, just a lot of little stuff. I was just assuming that I was due for a tune up and a new battery. Well the other day I got in it to go to the shop and when I hit the key it would barley turn over and then the starter would start clicking like the battery was dead.
I popped the hood to jump start it and when I did I noticed an unusual amount of heat coming from the battery area. When I started looking at it the 16 gauge wire coming off of the negative side of the battery going to the inner fender was smoking hot while the grounding cable going to the block was cold. When noticed that the cable was cold I had an idea of what was going on. I went and got my Fluke meter and put it on ohms and ran a resistance check on everything metal under the hood to the negative side of the battery and everything checked out good with little resistance. I then took off the small ground from the battery to the inner fender and tested everything again and low and behold I had nothing on the meter, it was a complete open.
Right then I knew what my problem was. The only ground I was getting to my car was through that small 16 gauge wire off the battery. So I then took the negative cable running from the battery to the block off of the block cleaned the wire eye and the block off with sandpaper and WD-40. After I hooked everything up I tried to start the car without jumping it and it fired right up. I took it for a drive and no more popping under a load, no more throttle hesitation and had a nice smooth low idle. So this is something to keep in mind if anybody starts having these problems too but its also not a bad idea to do it before you start having problems. Sand paper, a 10mm socket, a 8" extension, ratchet and 15 min is all you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice thread. Funny thing, something similar to that happened to me a few years back. Its amazing the amount of problems something as simple as a faulty ground can cause.

·
Registered
653 Posts
just swapped a 351w into my 87. had/has like 3 bad ground connections and was causing the idle to surge and a bunch of other driveability problems. Gotta fix that.

I think many people don't understand the importance of having good grounds. I learned my lesson lol

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Might need to do that this weekend just was a preventive measure. Im sure putting some dielectric grease under the contacts would help keep the rust away too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its something that you wouldn't think about but being located where it is close to the road after 20+ years it is bound to get some sort of build up under it. With the computer getting voltage spikes its gonna start giving you problems and it could burn up the ECU.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great post! Good pics to.

I had a corroded ground wire inside the clamp on battery terminal. To look at the connection everything was perfect. For a month, my car would run fine. But the hotter the engine was the harder it was to start. It'd crank slow. ONLY when it was hot though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a corroded ground wire inside the clamp on battery terminal. To look at the connection everything was perfect.
Yeah i think I might just end up taking the cables off and make some new ones. Like you said they might look to be OK on the outside but inside could be a different story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.