Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Omar I have an 05 mustang gt in a manual transmission my battery keeps dying and I got it tested and it came out good then I tested the alternator at O’Reilly’s and it came out bad then I replaced it and my battery is still dying. And every time I put the key in the ignition on position my battery volt drops then I take it off and it goes back up also the check engine light is on along with the battery light and every time my car is about to die it beeps and shows a wrench light and the fuel cap light. Any suggestion would help

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
hmmm . . . I never heard of a GT V6 before, but that probably does not matter.

How old is the battery? It could be simply worn out. Especially if the alternator was bad so the battery was not getting charged for a while.

Those auto parts stores battery tests are not very reliable. I have had batteries test good, that were in fact bad. Once I replaced the battery, everything was fine. You can get perfectly good batteries at Walmart for around $100 or so. You can pay a lot more for a battery, but I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the battery sticker says January 2020 and that’s actually a Walmart battery and that’s where I got it tested I also checked the battery terminals cleaned it with sand paper and the cable ends too

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
hmmm . . . that is fairly fresh, "should" be OK, but could still be dead if it sat discharged for a long time

make sure the cells are full . . . use distilled water if needed, and be very careful not to splash any of the battery acid on yourself or anything else

also might help to put it on a charger for at least 8 hours, better yet a batter reconditioner (basically a fancy charger) if you have one available

if you have the receipt, you might be able to get a new one, either free or pro-rated on the battery warranty since it is only about a year old

or it could be something else!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a new battery this morning and I’m still having the same problem I’m not sure if I have a bad ground somewhere or a short circuit perhaps

I turned it on right now no problem then I was testing the fuses for volts got nothing and then the car just stalled

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a visual inspection and the cables look fine I’m going to see if I can pull the codes for it

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
I think you have a draw (short ) in your system,to check remove your NEGITIVE cable from the battery post,then with everything off put your meter on volts or mil amps touch one lead to the battery post and the other one to the negitive terminal,the meter should read no more than 5 milly amps.If it does, start removing fuses and relays to find your short.Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The problem I learned about a few years ago is that if you leave a CD in the CD player or leave your radio turned on when you turn your car off, the radio is draining your battery. It's a known problem with 05 and 06. I bought an 06 GT about five years ago, the guy who owned it told me he hardly ever drove it but when he did, he had to jump the battery. I researched and learned it was the radio draining the battery. I have a different 06 GT now and the person I bought it from said the same thing. This 06 only has 18K miles and was rarely driven and again, needed jumped. I asked the owner if he knew about the battery drain issue, he said no. Anyways....I let me son use my car when I went out of town. He left the radio on after parking it back in my garage. I did not start the car for a week. The battery was dead. I charged it. I never leave the radio or a CD in the CD player and I have no issues with a dead battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I check parasitic draw and got 1.8 - .8 amp and I started pulling fuses and my leads started sounding like electricity was flowing through them so I took them off and stoped the test and I did a volt drop test and I think my battery cables might be bad

I was also told that the starter could be the problem for stealing volt from the battery when on
And I couldn’t pull any codes since I just got a new battery

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
I check parasitic draw and got 1.8 - .8 amp and I started pulling fuses and my leads started sounding like electricity was flowing through them so I took them off and stoped the test and I did a volt drop test and I think my battery cables might be bad

I was also told that the starter could be the problem for stealing volt from the battery when on
And I couldn’t pull any codes since I just got a new battery
Remove the negitive cable on your starter,or the relay in the fuse box,see if your draw goes away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hmmm . . . I never heard of a GT V6 before, but that probably does not matter.

How old is the battery? It could be simply worn out. Especially if the alternator was bad so the battery was not getting charged for a while.

Those auto parts stores battery tests are not very reliable. I have had batteries test good, that were in fact bad. Once I replaced the battery, everything was fine. You can get perfectly good batteries at Walmart for around $100 or so. You can pay a lot more for a battery, but I can't tell the difference.
My experience with batteries from Walmart and O'reilly is a life span of maybe 2 or 3 years. Napa batteries aren't bad but the best I've found is Interstate. Most of them have a 2 or 3 year full replacement warranty after which time it's pro-rated to the warranty period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my name is Omar I have an 05 mustang gt in a manual transmission my battery keeps dying and I got it tested and it came out good then I tested the alternator at O’Reilly’s and it came out bad then I replaced it and my battery is still dying. And every time I put the key in the ignition on position my battery volt drops then I take it off and it goes back up also the check engine light is on along with the battery light and every time my car is about to die it beeps and shows a wrench light and the fuel cap light. Any suggestion would help
I had the the same thing happen. I had a parasitic drain caused by either radio or the power seat adjuster. Took the fuse out and replaced it and it seems to fix problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the the same thing happen. I had a parasitic drain caused by either radio or the power seat adjuster. Took the fuse out and replaced it and it seems to fix problem.
Can you help me but telling me which fuse you replaced. Are they labeled?

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
replacing a fuse will not fix a drain issue -- removing the fuse will temporarily stop the drain (because the circuit is shut off, no current can flow, so there can be no drain) but when you put a new fuse back in, the drain will be back -- because the issue is still there, since you have not found it or fixed it

I think he meant that he replaced the radio or the power seat adjuster

yes the fuses are labeled and the owner's manual has the details of which is which and where to find them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts