Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced engines to a '96 from a '97. battery light came on. Checked battery and alt. even swapped alternators and same thing. then i swaped wire harness's with one I know is good, same outcome. checked and rechecked every connecton in engine compartment. problem is, I bought the '96 with a blown engine so I didnt get a chance to see if everything worked. The passenger window does not, might this be an issue. The battery has a draw coming from it somewhere. It does quit when I unplug the battery. It also quits running around five minutes after it starts. If anyone can help i'd be greatful..

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
First thing to deal with is the draw. The battery light could fix itself after this is resolved.

Did you know that the windows are protected by a circuit breaker? The CB will reset itself once cooled. This could explain why the draw comes and goes.

Start by pulling the window CB which is #14 in the I/P panel (inside).

Once it has been confirmed to be a window problem, then you can work on finding the stuck switch.

Be sure to double check the battery cables. Are they clean and tight? Are the smaller electrical connectors on the alternator clean and tight?

Are all of the fuses good (inside and out)?

Finally, confirm there is +12 volts on the alternator main B+ terminal with the key off. What we are testing for is that the fusible links are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the fuses, battery is way low now, not pulling a good charge. I pulled the door apart to investigate the wire harness and found some intellegent person has hooked up an alarm in the door jam boot. Poor workmanship useing caps and not connectors. I am in the process of soldering it all back together. that may or may not fix the window, but its worth the shot. Someone mentioned to me also today that since I changed engines I should reflash the comp now? doesnt make sense to me though. I will try the fusible links tonight or tommorow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure the alt has an underdrive pulley on it. If your running any other underdrive pulleys, then your regular alt pully is not turning fast enought for your system. When i changed mine out for a 160amp with an underdrive pulley already installed no more battery light, system is stronger and sounds better. Cost me $85.00 buck on eBay, and 15 mins to install it. very easy fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright.....just an end to this issue. After trying what was said in this post, nothing seemed to work. I ended up spending 140 bucks at the auto shop to find out the positive side of the alternator is shorting out on the block through a bad wire....Unbeileveable..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts