Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mustang GT ‘Vert
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I want to get some kind of "Battery Tender" to put on my '07 GT battery (left connected) while it is stored for the winter. (6 mo.)
What do you use & recomend? Thanks in advance! - F F

·
Registered
349 Posts
I tend to like the CTEK or Noco smart chargers. They both have the float and then monitor final stage for longer term storage. I use the CTEK MUS 4.3 (silver color) for long term storage, but the silver model has since been discontinued. I have a CTEK MUS 4.3 Polar, but I don't like it as much as the original MUS 4.3. The Noco Genuis 5 is something I just started using for the other vehicles. All are good options.

·
Tech Advisor
5,585 Posts
Hey Guys! I want to get some kind of "Battery Tender" to put on my '07 GT battery (left connected) while it is stored for the winter. (6 mo.)
What do you use & recomend? Thanks in advance! - F F
On a short term, disconnecting the terminals is ok, long term, pull it just in case....especially with temp changes, although very rare, a crack in a battery case undetected can do a lot of damage. As far as maintaining the charge... a good idea but, IMHO, If you simply put a charger on the battery once a month, it will be fine.

The issue with "Battery Tender" devices is to start with, they are not monitored by a human! Unless you are dealing with a marine or FAA approved battery where the entire battery is sealed, then there is always a likelihood/possibility (although all batteries today are "sealed"), there is some gas that is escaping at the top of the case, terminals, etc....especially when they are exposed to temp changes and charging, all of which induces expansion/contraction of the battery case.....if a leak occurs, you are dealing with hydrogen sulfide gas...highly flammable and relying on mexico or overseas made circuit boards that is "receiving 120 volts/10-15 amps (such as the Chinese made “Battery Tender”), reducing this and based upon "feedback" varying the charge to your battery, to ensure your "rides safety"......probably not the best recommendation in the world since these charging devices are not 'intrinsically safe"..meaning they produce sparks and static electricity...a great ignition source for the potential hydrogen sulfide gas.

Now the manufacturers state/imply this is safe to do, but, if you were a business, every state in the US and including the US National and International Fire Codes prohibit such unmonitored battery charging operations at anytime! Although these codes and standards do not apply to residences, why would you not want to heed the advise of recognized national and international standards…you wouldn’t……..cheap insurance for you vehicle, garage, house and maybe your lives.

Reactions: Braindead

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an optima yellow top, so i ended up buying an optima battery charger. It can charge lead/acid batteries too, and can be set up to maintain my battery. Personally when i park my cars for the winter i just remove the battery. My yellow top can be discharged and charged back up hundreds of times, it is deep cycle. But i just remove the battery and then keep it maintained over the winter. Mustang has conventional battery, i remove that and then just reinstall in the spring.

I live in MA so once i park the cars, they are staying put until they are ready to come out in the spring. The only reason i see for a battery tender is if they will be in storage, but will be driven a couple of times over the winter. You want the battery to be fully charged up when you need it. You could also just remove the battery cables like was said above, depends on the battery and temps but it should stay charged with no load/draw on it.

·
Registered
06 Mustang GT
14 Posts
just remove it from the car and place it on a shelf (not on the floor for obvious reasons) That way your battery will stay charged and you have no electrical risk to your vehicle in storage. It's not hard to drop it in again if you want to turn the engine over a few times over the winter.

·
Registered
755 Posts
So have mine connected each winter with trickle and it just sits, nothing disconnected… car is decade old now and still has original battery. My way of thinking there has gone 180 degrees from even 8 years back. Don’t start engine any more through season, believe now more harm done than good. Oh check on status daily might add, high and dry out in shed over in field (1 1/2 car garage).
Sky Cloud Snow House Tree

”intrinsically safe". <<< Haven’t seen this word in ages. Yes, hated the large industrial grade furnaces. Natural and propane fuel sources, propane stayed at ground level and natural gas lighter than air. Really would screw up on detection monitors and what height placement. Electrical was another story called “Explosion Proof” used where a highly volatile atmosphere may exist.

Not sure with cars, know of nothing that meets above certification, especially with fuel delivery. Batteries, just let by-product release into atmosphere. Good idea not to check battery terminals using match or lighter for certain- agreed. Indeed battery explosions not uncommon with the 24 volt diesel backup generators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts