Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed water consumption in the battery? I've had to top mine off three time already in 3,500 miles.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
beartracks said:
Has anyone noticed water consumption in the battery? I've had to top mine off three time already in 3,500 miles.
3 times?! I've had to do it maybe 3 imes over 30k miles on my old stang.

You sure you're not over filling it? Do you see the miniscus("eye") in the water holes? Maybe you have a bad battery....I'm not real sure. I'm not an expert on batteries. I just know that you should check the water levels every once in a while.

You are using distilled water right?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Havent looked at my battery, surprised they're not using maintenance free batteries

·
Registered
154 Posts
Stoenr said:
Havent looked at my battery, surprised they're not using maintenance free batteries
20 years ago I used to work at a large farm store and we sold car and tractor batteries. Even then the units we sold were maintanance free. If a battery was using up fluid it meant it was bad. Filling batteries with water even then was a mostly useless thing as it would only work for a bit.

I would get it checked its bad.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
beartracks said:
Your kidding right? There hasn't been a battery in years that you have to refill.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too was surprised the battery wasn't zero maintenance. I'm only adding a little distilled water to the bottom of the well wall (about an 1" from the top).

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts