Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All... I searched the V6 tech forum but could not find anything that could answer my question. If there is one please point me in the right direction, but if not here's my dilemma:

I had just recently bought the CAI (BBK), but I've had a Flowmaster 40 on it since I bought the Mustang (2005). I've done no other upgrades to it. Ever since I put the CAI, I've noticed that every time the car accelerates up hills (it's an auto, btw and it only does it in cruise), it will decelerate, then accelerate, then decelerate then accelerate again continuing the process until it gets to the top of the hill then it evens out. It sounds like it revs high for a couple seconds and it continously does it until there's no acceleration needed. The hill doesn't have to be big. Just enough so that the engine would have to accelerate to maintain the constant speed. Does anyone know what may be causing it and what I need to do to fix it? Thanks, Everyone!

·
Registered
566 Posts
the throttle in our cars work almost like there in stages you have to push the pedal to a point then the engine will down shift and give you more power that you may have wanted next time it happens try to keep the throttle just a little bit past the point where the engine downshifts and revs up

or did you get a custome tune for your bbk cai i know they say you dont have to have a custome tune but the your ecu may not be adjusting for the increase in air in some cases it may cause problems such as what your going through

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the throttle in our cars work almost like there in stages you have to push the pedal to a point then the engine will down shift and give you more power that you may have wanted next time it happens try to keep the throttle just a little bit past the point where the engine downshifts and revs up

or did you get a custome tune for your bbk cai i know they say you dont have to have a custome tune but the your ecu may not be adjusting for the increase in air in some cases it may cause problems such as what your going through
It only does it when I'm in cruise control. Which is almost all the time because I have to commute everywhere I go.

No, no custom tune either. I was thinking that it was probably due to the ecu not adjusting properly, but I guess when BBK says no tune required, they are probably considering that you wouldn't have any other upgrades.

I have definitely noticed a significant throttle response since I've added the cai, but the revving on and off while going up hills is quite annoying.. maybe even a bit embarrassing. :blink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like normal cruise operation to me but maybe it is more extreme than what I am thinking. Are you positive it did not do that before the CAI?
This may or may not pertain to your specific problem but one important mistake people make is removing the screen in the intake tube. The screen that is just before the trottle body. This screen does not restrict airflow.The screen smooths out turbulence in the airflow so the MAF can take a more accurate reading. The 90 degree elbow in the CAI and no screen = turbulence and false air readings.
This could cause "bucking", idle fluctuation even the occasional backfiring.

,Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like normal cruise operation to me but maybe it is more extreme than what I am thinking. Are you positive it did not do that before the CAI?
This may or may not pertain to your specific problem but one important mistake people make is removing the screen in the intake tube. The screen that is just before the trottle body. This screen does not restrict airflow.The screen smooths out turbulence in the airflow so the MAF can take a more accurate reading. The 90 degree elbow in the CAI and no screen = turbulence and false air readings.
This could cause "bucking", idle fluctuation even the occasional backfiring.

,Matt
Nope, positive that it didn't do it before the CAI install. And there were no screen near the throttle body or in the airbox.

It's annoying enough, I'm tempted to just go back to the stock box and just put a K&N in it, but I'm afraid I'll loose the added hp that I've gotten just by adding the cai, not to mention, the cost of buying the cai just to have it sit in my shop. :(

·
Registered
682 Posts
well i didnt read any but ur first and second saying no tune so idk if u got this answer but even if u put just a little cai u NEED custom tune or any tune on 05+ idk why its kinda stupid but you need tunes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i didnt read any but ur first and second saying no tune so idk if u got this answer but even if u put just a little cai u NEED custom tune or any tune on 05+ idk why its kinda stupid but you need tunes

Really??? demmit, I was hoping I didn't have to get a tune. :< A tuner is quite expensive. I may just go back to the stock box with K&N. :weeps:

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

·
Registered
682 Posts
lol thats why they have cai and tuner packages for all 05+ just save ur money and get a sct its like 380 on american muscle and its free tunes for life

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing is... I was hoping I didn't have to do a tune so that I didn't have to go to a higher octane gas. Thanks for the suggest. I bought the bbk cai from american muscle. Great company, but i just found it hard to spend that much to gain so little hp. I don't know, maybe I'm just a cheapskate. :weeps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it possible that I may have to just go to a higher octane gas? I'm wondering if the knock sensor is over-compensating due to the change of air flow??

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think higher octane gas will solve the issue, but a tuner will not make you get higher octane gas, it all depends on the tune.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Really??? demmit, I was hoping I didn't have to get a tune. :< A tuner is quite expensive. I may just go back to the stock box with K&N. :weeps:

Thanks for all the help, everyone.
i was hoping for the same thing when i got my bbk cai but ive taken a few trips about 80 miles distance or so through moutians and ive never got the reving going up the hills but i have a tillman tune in my car you should try a tune if you have tuner its only like 50 bucks for a tune file and it will give you car more power from your cai

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ive got some huge,long hills on the highway down here in the ozarks. all you have to do is turn off the o/d when you are heading up a huge incline on the road. then hit the button back on when you get to the top. dont even need to touch the cruise control. 5th gear is pretty doggy going up huge hills so the cruise it gonna downshift it to stay at the speed your set at. not a big deal, you dont need a tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think higher octane gas will solve the issue, but a tuner will not make you get higher octane gas, it all depends on the tune.
Oh... that's good news. I may have to think about getting the SF3.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive got some huge,long hills on the highway down here in the ozarks. all you have to do is turn off the o/d when you are heading up a huge incline on the road. then hit the button back on when you get to the top. dont even need to touch the cruise control. 5th gear is pretty doggy going up huge hills so the cruise it gonna downshift it to stay at the speed your set at. not a big deal, you dont need a tune.

Except it's not a constant rev (I know that's normal going up hills). It's the rev up, rev down, rev up, rev down, rev up, rev down in intervals of about 2 seconds until it reaches a plateau. I feel like a yo-yo... lol ... maybe I just have a dual personality mustang. :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Except it's not a constant rev (I know that's normal going up hills). It's the rev up, rev down, rev up, rev down, rev up, rev down in intervals of about 2 seconds until it reaches a plateau. I feel like a yo-yo... lol ... maybe I just have a dual personality mustang. :D
Does it do that when you try to maintain constant speed without the use of cruise control?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it do that when you try to maintain constant speed without the use of cruise control?

I shall try driving without the cruise up a hill and try to maintain the speed. :scratchchin Kind of hard to do because of the fact that your first reaction is to step on the gas to maintain the speed up the hill, but I will try and find out. I will post the results. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welp, it doesn't do it in cruise control, but I did find out that when a vehicle is going up slight hills it will slightly downshift and upshift several times to keep the speed constant. And I did notice that it was the sound that was more noticeable than the actual car's movement (if any).

I guess adding the cai just intensified the sound of the engine when before I didn't hear it since I only had a flowmaster installed.

That flowmaster is pretty loud in the cabin, but when I added the cai, it actually quieted down in the cabin so that's probably why I hear the engine more. :doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my X3 today, custom tuned my car, went for a drive, and that "problem" I had going up hills is gone. My Mustang rides sweet too! :bigthumbsup I think it's changed the sound a bit too.

Course, I may be jumping the gun, but we'll see. Texas seems to have more hills than I give it credit for. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.