Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a pair of brand new bbk equal length shorty headers and after going through the hell of installing them, now my steering knuckle rubs against them when i turn. is there any way to fix this or is it something i shouldn't worry about?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was told that you can loosen the steering column and move it to the left and this should give you enough clearance. I have the same problem but have not tried this yet. I will end up putting a manual rack kit on mine which will solve the problem. If you want to keep the power rack, Flaming river sells a steering shaft which is smaller and it should fix your problem. I have seen them on Holcomb Motorsports web site.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll definatly try that but is it going to rub a hole in them or will it just eventually put a dent and end up clearing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is a slight rub. If I had another 1/4" clearance there would be no problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just had the same issue, and the installer put washers on top of my motor mounts to give me the proper clearance. i did some searching on the forums and ended up replacing my motor mounts, with new poly ones from energy suspension, and that fixed my issue. the ones on my 88 were in awful shape, since they were originals.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
With new motor mounts, I still needed to move the steering column, to the right. Just go underneath the dash at the wheel, youll see where you need to loosen. Move entire column a bit to the right and retighten.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.