Ford Mustang Forum banner

BBK Performance 73mm BBK Power Plus Throttle Body for 2011-12 Ford Mustang V6 3.7L

15K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  PP3.7 
#1 ·
G
#4 ·
Right. Depending on vehicle and application. This is a general statement made by BBK about all their throttle bodies. So it may get you 10-15hp in a camaro and zero in our car. Any independent testing or validation?

#5 ·
This product has been posted several times before and the threads die pretty quick because there's nothing substantive to support it.

I'm all for spending the loot for a little extra giddy-up, but not for buying an unproven paper weight.

Show me some numbers!

G
#6 ·
I'm certain AM or a tuner would need to work a tune to calibrate for it. I know when JLT was developing his CAI we discussed using a bigger throttle body for the 3.7L and he said that airflow at the TB was already maxed out for the motor. The intake was the bottleneck. I'll ask if he wants to test one out on my car to verify.

#7 ·
I didn't click the link, but the last I saw these things were going for over 5 bills. Even if they did actually provide 15whp, thats a lotta coin for that power....

I am curious however how these matchup with the f/i setups. I'd imagine those guys would benefit much more from this t/b then us n/a guys would.

Either way, looking forward to some testing/dynoing/guinea pigs on this!

#8 ·
I didn't click the link, but the last I saw these things were going for over 5 bills. Even if they did actually provide 15whp, thats a lotta coin for that power....

I am curious however how these matchup with the f/i setups. I'd imagine those guys would benefit much more from this t/b then us n/a guys would.

Either way, looking forward to some testing/dynoing/guinea pigs on this!

Would be nice if we NA guys could get something decent from it and the price would come down to two-hundred bones or less. The TB's for the previous generation GT's can be had for around $110. Why does a 3.7L TB have to be so flippin' expensive?

#10 ·
The price helps ensure no demand.

Reactions: Cem Sengul
#13 ·
thought this post would have an actual dyno test or something lol..regardless I dont really trust these bbk throttle bodies..esp after reading some of the things that other mustang guys have posted about them on the previous generation mustangs.

theres three reviews on americanmuscle:
BBK Power Plus Mustang 73mm Throttle Body (11-12 V6) 1822 - Free Shipping!

one of them turned me off even more aha.

Maybe if FordRacing made one like they have for the GT I would be interested:bigthumbsup

#14 ·
Bet it really enhances our low end torque (LOL).

On a serious note, I appreciate BBK for at least trying. Can't really be said for most of what else we've got going throughout the market. I mean, hell, Ford Racing had the nerve to slap us (well, not me, but somebody) in the face by offering an x-pipe as part of this gen's FRPP Performance Pack...

#16 ·
Im skeptical. American Muscle told me that on my tuned 5.0 the BBK throttle body they sell would give me between 5 and 10 RWHP. I cant see any more on the v6. 5-10 for 400 dollars? Its your money guys.

#17 ·
Actually, BBK's price for their throttle body is pretty good. There is alot more to the new "drive by wire" throttle bodies than you may think, it's not like "the old days". The drive motors themselves are not cheap.

As far as whether it's "worth it" to upgrade the size of your throttle body on the V6 is open to interpretation. If that is going to be the only modification you make to the engine, it's probably not. On the other hand, if you are going with tubular headers, a better flowing exhaust system, a better air inlet system (cold air pipe, etc.), it's probably worth it. I do not know what the cfm rating is with the BBK unit, nor do I know what the cfm rating is on the OEM throttle body. I also don't know how much airflow the OEM intake manifold can move. Alot of unknowns at least for now.

I know about throttle bodies and airflow. Our company (Accufab, Inc.) has been manufacturing throttle bodies for many years for Fords. In fact, all the throttle bodies sold through Ford Racing Performance Parts dealers are made by us, including the throttle bodies on the late model Cobra Jets. We make a throttle body for the new 5.0L, but so far, nothing for the 3.7L (despite the fact that I drive a new 3.7L).

Here's a couple of photos of our 84.5mm throttle body for the new 5.0L.

84.5mm is the largest size that will bolt up to the OEM intake manifold or the new Boss 302 manifold. Our new unit flows 1183cfm vs. the OEM unit which flows 913cfm. That is a 30% improvement in airflow for the V8.

#20 ·
^^ I know it's weird lol!

#21 ·
wouldn't it be cheaper to throw a 5.0 coyote throttle body on the 3.7 and get the same kind of gains. an adapter would be all you need as the connector is plug and play I think.

#22 ·
interesting..would that work?? ..if you had a proper adapter you would be able to use the stock gt throttle body..as well as any aftermarket one the 5.0 has..

#24 ·
TYou need to seriously look at just how much airflow a "stock" 3.7 needs. I feel that with a CAI there is more than adequate airflow for any stock application. True when modifications are done to improve volumetric efficiency the engine might require more air. But In my opinion you will have to make substantial changes to your engine in the way of modifications to get it to where it needs a lot more air flow.Im thinking here about supercharging and cam changes (dont know if thats being done yet to 3.7's) that would "force" the engine to require more air by improving breathing. Same holds true for any engine, they are just basically all "air pumps" anyways.
again in stock form, don't expect to set the world on fire with a larger throttle body. As a matter of fact sometimes bigger isnt always better. If you look at the original Boss 302 engines, the intake port area was "too large" from the factory. mixture velocity through the ports was "slow" and fuel was not staying mixed properly with the air. Racers started designing new heads with "smaller" yet "better contoured " intake runners and the engines made more power and made it throughout a wider rpm range. Its called keeping the air velocity up. Its important.

#26 ·
^ I'd buy one if there was proven gains!:bigthumbsup..I rather pay a higher price tag and get a throttlebody thats reliable and shows a power increase.

#28 ·
You guys should go for it!! We need more aftermarket throttlebodies on the market!:yelpleased:

#29 ·
Did want to say that my tongue-in-cheek wasn't meant to be a stab at BBK, either. Just a little joke that only the V6MP guys would really be able to pick up on.

I'd love to say "MAKE IT HAPPEN!" George Klass, but personally, I'm going to be scrapping to make a turbo kit land on my Mustang. After that, I'd be in consideration, but there's no doubt to me that I'd have at least a half dozen other things I'd want to make happen before that.

#34 ·
Yea the stock GT and aftermarket intakes for it are a different shape so you wouldnt be able to run those..

if you wanted to run your current aftermarket V6 intake..wouldn't the coupler connection to the throttlebody and mounting locations of the intake itself be an issue? ..sort of how some throttlebody spacers are.

but ya it might not be worth it.

#37 ·
I would say, "Need a 'Like' button," but I need a "more cash" botton.

#38 ·
Was reading those replies at work, about the GT TB on NA and laughing. Don't have my login for this forum on my phone, otherwise I'd have pointed out that the ones making the adapter are the same guys making FI kits for the 3.7, sooner.

Back on original subject, I'm sure the BBK TB will benefit CFM's turbo kit too. And if I can get a takeoff GT TB to pair with it, I certainly will.

#40 ·

Attachments

#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.