Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if all of you have experienced the high pitched noise BBK throttle bodies put out at idle and WOT. It is like a jet idling on a runway. Really loud and high pitched. It may sound somewhat like a supercharger under light load but it gets annoying and embarrassing fast.

I decided to take a look at what was going on inside the throttle body and noticed lots of sharp edges and just really unsmooth bends.

I used sand paper and a dremel w/ carbide bits (very small) to smooth everything out. It took care of ALL the noise. It is completely silent like with the stock throttle body.

Take a look at the pics where you can see before and after.

Here are the before pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I guess I got lucky with mine, it makes no noise at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great fix! Now I might actually do it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
yeah

I hear the same thing. Good thread GhostDog! I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I went today and bought a Dremel. I've got my car into pieces. From tranny rebuild, to throttle body smoothing, and also Trick Flow intake plenum polish, my car is in pieces. I mean tools everywhere. Tranny main shaft should be back tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My holley TB does the same noise its really annoying

·
Registered
92 Posts
same thing over here

ya I hear it too...it sucks,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine too

I had the same problem. I called BBK and they told me to smooth the IAC passages. I did and it worked. I still have a little whistle when just tipping in the throttle. But I like the comments I get when someone rides w/ me for the first time and hears it.
The Dremel is one of the best tools I own.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's weird that BBK says it's the throttle body butterfly blade that makes the noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
since my intake swap i have beed running a 70mm bbk tb. it makes the same noise your describing. im going to try smoothing it as well. but i had another question ever since my intake swap and fox throttle conversion and 70mm bkk tb my throttle sticks. and it is really annoying in traffic. any ideas on how to stop it from sticking?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it sticks you need to screw the idle screw in more. Sometimes even a hair is all it needs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Professional Products 70 mm TB .Think I'm hearing the same noise too. Nobody mentioned that brand so I'm throwing it out there. I'll report after smoothing it out. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
GhostDog,I am so glad you had this posted! I was ready to pull the whole top half of my motor apart again, because I thought I had the lower intake mis-aligned, again. I hope this works! I played with it enough last summer and just want to get rid of that noise. She's not running lean, like she would if was an air leak. A/F mix looks right, and was starting to boggle me to the point of getting a carb.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey 92LX347Stroker how did you make out.Did you follow the directions like it were a BBK t/b?I have a performance products t/b & mine also whines.Sounds like a whistle.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got a 75mm professional products polished throttle body and it whistled like a mofo, worse than the 70mm bbk did. The inside part of the IAC valve that i smoothed in the top pics was already pretty damn smooth so I was wondering how the hell am I going to fix this.

What I did was install the Idle air control adjustment plate that lets you adjust the air flow without opening the throttle screw and helps smooth out a lot of idles. It IMMEDIATELY took away all whistling. It was so exciting, I couldnt believe it.

Attached are some pics of the professional products throttle body, you can see that it is pretty smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Funny you say that.Last night I smoothed out my p.p t/b & it didnt help much but like you said it was already pretty smooth.What did you get to get rid of that whistle & where did you get it?Other than that it seems like a pretty nice t/b.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Im not sure what a idle air adj plate is.Where would I get one?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
www.50resto.com sells them here.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-9939A 1&comp=LRS

Attached is a pic of it from their website.

Your ford dealer might have it in stock , Part #F2PZ 9F93 9A , it will probably be cheaper than 50resto's price too, probably around 15-20.

It has two allen screws that you adjust in and out also to control the idle so you dont have to mess with the idle screw and reset the tps. It's pretty nice. It comes with 2 gaskets.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great, thanks for the info.You said it has helped cure some idle prob.How?It essentially does the same thing as the idle screw,correct?If Im not mistaken wasent it originally part of a recall?I think the recall was to add this piece but ultimately a t/b maf cleaning was what was really needed.
Also I got ahold of p.p.tech line & was told its the sharp edge on the round hole that is in the bore of the t/b that comes from the iac.He said to smooth the edge out but if it doesent he would send me a new t/b.Now thats good cust serv.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts