Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 4.0L V6 Mustang with the 5R55S transmission and two piece driveshaft. The vehicle makes what sounds like a bearing noise at exactly 85 mph and above. The noise can only be heard while under load and disappears once the gas pedal is released. Once I depress the gas pedal again the noise reappears. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission area, as opposed to the rear end.

Anyone experiencing a similar problem? Any ideas what it might be? Thanks!

D

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you have a manual transmission it could be the throwout bearing. I supose a pinion bearing would be subject to a noise under load as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 2008 4.0L V6 Mustang with the 5R55S transmission and two piece driveshaft. The vehicle makes what sounds like a bearing noise at exactly 85 mph and above. The noise can only be heard while under load and disappears once the gas pedal is released. Once I depress the gas pedal again the noise reappears. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission area, as opposed to the rear end.

Anyone experiencing a similar problem? Any ideas what it might be? Thanks!

D
So... I have an auto and I get the same type of noise at 78 mph to 80 mph, then it goes away... Same conditions as your noise, just mine is only for a 2 mph band. It sounds like it is coming from the transmission area rather than the rear end as well on mine. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with my rear end install when the driveshaft was hanging. Do you have any mods to your car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have several mods, but the car was making the noise BEFORE any mods were made and while the car was completely stock. The mods have neither increased nor diminished the noise.

I thought it might have something to do with the driveshaft as well, but turned up nothing after a driveshaft inspection.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, I have several mods, but the car was making the noise BEFORE any mods were made and while the car was completely stock. The mods have neither increased nor diminished the noise.

I thought it might have something to do with the driveshaft as well, but turned up nothing after a driveshaft inspection.
Eww... Mine was quiet before I installed the rear end and all the suspension parts... I can't figure it out... It really sounde like it is coming from right below the auto shifter... I only hear it if I get the speed up as well... doesn't make a peep at any other speeds.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that I have bad bearings in the rear end which is causing the noise. I'm going to try a fluid swap with friction modifier before getting quotes for a shop to replace the bearings. There are a lot of specialty tools for the replacement that I do not have..

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts