Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Howdy yall, i have a 66 mustang with a 289 w/ basic power adders like exhaust and carb but its not enough i want to be beasty not fast but monstrous but still have a daily driver. i was thinking about getting a crate motor from ford racing and a five speed tranny. i wanted to know if the 351 will fit? or should i get the 302 stroked to the 347 pushing 400 horse? i know im going to have to upgrade most of the car to handle this like the brakes rear end and cooling. or should i just stick w/ my 289 and get heads and forged pistons and supercharge it w/ a paxton? oh so many possibilties please help!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ford Racing now offers a 347 short block. We just installed one in a clients 1970 Coupe. We used TFS heads, Airgap intake, 750 CFM carb, Canton pan and some other good parts. He made about 390 on the Chassis Dyno. Nothing special about the rest of the car. Runs hard.

Ron

·
Registered
433 Posts
Monstrous and beasty don't mix with daily driver. You can get beasty but she is going to be a real pain to drive in traffic I'd recomend against it and suggest you choose either-or. If you don't you may end up real disappointed with what you get. Monstrous also cost big bucks. A 351 should fit but its gonna be real tight. Strokers cost money that you may or may not have and you need to remember these are 40 year old cars and they were never designed for the size engines we are putting in them. My suggestion would be work with the motor you've got. With some smart mods you can pump out over 300 ponies pretty easy and not break the bank. Then take the cash you save and invest it in suspension mods to help you get those ponys to the ground. Do that and you'll probably be able to smoke most of the big inch stroker guys plus you'll have enough cash left over to buy a burger Satuday nights.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Preacher17 said:
Monstrous and beasty don't mix with daily driver. You can get beasty but she is going to be a real pain to drive in traffic I'd recomend against it and suggest you choose either-or. If you don't you may end up real disappointed with what you get. Monstrous also cost big bucks. A 351 should fit but its gonna be real tight. Strokers cost money that you may or may not have and you need to remember these are 40 year old cars and they were never designed for the size engines we are putting in them. My suggestion would be work with the motor you've got. With some smart mods you can pump out over 300 ponies pretty easy and not break the bank. Then take the cash you save and invest it in suspension mods to help you get those ponys to the ground. Do that and you'll probably be able to smoke most of the big inch stroker guys plus you'll have enough cash left over to buy a burger Satuday nights.

Mike
I have a 302. What sort of smart mods do you suggest? I was seriously considering adding MSD blaster 2 coil, 6A Multi-spark discharge, and either Petronix Ignitor II kit, or Mallory Unilite. Will this be a kool combo that will be adequate for future mods? Also, I have an Edlebrock 600cfm carb., and was considering swapping it for a 750 Holley. What do ya think?

·
Registered
433 Posts
The ignition mods are good. The key to making power in a small block ford is the heads. The stock heads are too restrictive. You have several options. Port the 302 heads. Depending on the year heads you will keep the compression up and it will breath better, also have the valves changed to chevy 1.94/1.60 valves. Next option is to do the same thing with 351W heads, they breath better due to better port sizing ( This is the option I'm using) and the third option is aftermarket heads. It's your budget you need to decide what you can afford. Porting can be expensive if you can't do it youself so in that case stock 351 heads are an option, they will still breath better than the 302 heads.

Keep the 600cfm carb, anything else is really too big for a 302 and get a good dual plane manifold and of course headers. Which brings us to cams....you really haven't given enough info to make a recommendation. Are you running a stick or an automatic? What stall and rear end gear? Which head option are you going with etc., As a rule of thumb keep the duration at or below 220 degrees and the lift around .480 of an inch (measured at .050 lift)...unless you are running a roller cam in which case everything changes.

Your best bet is to get an education...there are several good books out there on building SB Fords. IMO one of the best is "How to Build Max Performance Ford V8's on a Budget" by George Reid, there are others. You can never know to much. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Preacher17 said:
The ignition mods are good. The key to making power in a small block ford is the heads. The stock heads are too restrictive. You have several options. Port the 302 heads. Depending on the year heads you will keep the compression up and it will breath better, also have the valves changed to chevy 1.94/1.60 valves. Next option is to do the same thing with 351W heads, they breath better due to better port sizing ( This is the option I'm using) and the third option is aftermarket heads. It's your budget you need to decide what you can afford. Porting can be expensive if you can't do it youself so in that case stock 351 heads are an option, they will still breath better than the 302 heads.

Keep the 600cfm carb, anything else is really too big for a 302 and get a good dual plane manifold and of course headers. Which brings us to cams....you really haven't given enough info to make a recommendation. Are you running a stick or an automatic? What stall and rear end gear? Which head option are you going with etc., As a rule of thumb keep the duration at or below 220 degrees and the lift around .480 of an inch (measured at .050 lift)...unless you are running a roller cam in which case everything changes.

Your best bet is to get an education...there are several good books out there on building SB Fords. IMO one of the best is "How to Build Max Performance Ford V8's on a Budget" by George Reid, there are others. You can never know to much. Hope this helps.

Mike

My father put a new 302 engine in there in 1973, if that helps any. The car is an automatic. People say that I have an adequate manifold on there (I'll get the exact brand name tomorrow for ya), although I believe it's just a regular Ford 4 barrel type. I have a complete custom made exhaust system, with 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers. I am not certain on stall and rear end gear specs, yet it has a 8" rear. lol I suppose, that was why I was going to start with the ignition.:tongue As for headers, I was looking at the Patriot headers, yet I am still not sure. As you can see, I am deep in the dark, as far as making reliable power gains on Ford engines. That's what I get for playing with "rice" for too long.:smilie Anyways, I am definately going to the book store tomorrow morning. I really need to catch up. For an auto-lover, I feel so lost and ashamed.LOL

Q: If I get the 351 heads, would I have to change any other internal parts? Also, what's your opinion on Ford Racing Horsepower Pulley kits?

Note to self: "Just buy the darn book!"

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sounds like you've got an excellent start. The 351 heads are a bolt on swap all you need is special bolts avaliable about anywhere. Depending on the cam you need to check valve to piston clearence but you would need to do that anyway. As for cam recomendations you really need to ask the manufactures about what you have and see what they say...everyone and I mean everyone has an opinion on cams and most of us are wrong:) .
I only gave you half an answer before. Your engine sounds like it is comming alone nicely. What will make a difference between your car and the other guy is suspension mods. Most people overbuild their motor and underbuild their car. Plan on doing everything you can to stiffen the suspension and get power to the pavement. The list would include, export brace, montecarlo bar, subframe connectors/cage, traction bars, lowering the car a bit, brake upgrades and the like...the list goes on and on and to tell the truth I'm a bit behind the times with what is avaliable for suspensions. I'm keeping my car restorable (but not stock) so I haven't really kept up. If you have the desire you can do a lot more to the car than what is mentioned.

Pick up catalogs from people like Year One, CJ Pony, Califorinia Mustang and The Paddock (There are others) and see what is avaliable and possible. Good Luck.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Preacher17 said:
Sounds like you've got an excellent start. The 351 heads are a bolt on swap all you need is special bolts avaliable about anywhere. Depending on the cam you need to check valve to piston clearence but you would need to do that anyway. As for cam recomendations you really need to ask the manufactures about what you have and see what they say...everyone and I mean everyone has an opinion on cams and most of us are wrong:) .
I only gave you half an answer before. Your engine sounds like it is comming alone nicely. What will make a difference between your car and the other guy is suspension mods. Most people overbuild their motor and underbuild their car. Plan on doing everything you can to stiffen the suspension and get power to the pavement. The list would include, export brace, montecarlo bar, subframe connectors/cage, traction bars, lowering the car a bit, brake upgrades and the like...the list goes on and on and to tell the truth I'm a bit behind the times with what is avaliable for suspensions. I'm keeping my car restorable (but not stock) so I haven't really kept up. If you have the desire you can do a lot more to the car than what is mentioned.

Pick up catalogs from people like Year One, CJ Pony, Califorinia Mustang and The Paddock (There are others) and see what is avaliable and possible. Good Luck.

Mike

Thank you, sir!:) I already have Mustangunlimited's catalog, and I just ordered up Paddock's catalog, and browsing over other sites and listings I found in Mustangs & Fords mag. Today, I hunted for that one book by George Reid, yet wound up having to order it on line. However, I did get a book called "How to Build High-Performance Ignition Systems" by Todd Ryden. Hopefully that will help me some, as well. As for the car, it has a beefier anti-sway bar kit installed, and bushings that were installed before my father parked it. The ride height is lower than what I've see on Mustangs - it sits lower in the front, and the rear is slightly higher. My father claims that was the way it came when he bought it. However, he did lower the rear a little back in the early '90's. I suppose to keep up with the times.:tongue I want to keep the reliability for those long drives down th coast, yet give the car a little extra punch. Btw, I did a search in here to find product reviews on the Edlebrock manifold line, and Ford Racing manifolds, and the benefits of each, yet I could not find what I was looking for. What are you using on your car?

·
Registered
433 Posts
The car I've got now is a work in progress. It's in the body shop now having the sheetmetal and paint done. If your interested the before pics are in the post on pics of classics either here or in the lounge...not much to look at, at the moment. The body will be stock with the exception of a Shelby hood. Under the hood will be a 302 which is on the garage floor now being disassembled for the trip to the machine shop. The plans are to add a 331 stroker kit, topped with ported 351 heads,which are about finished, and top the motor with a Holley tri-power set up. A single four would be cheaper and more than likely perform a bit better but I've always liked multi-carb set ups and finally have the cash to get one. Cam selection is still up in the air and the suspension mods are as I detailed above in the previous post. Now if the body guy would just get done...

One more thing...don't call me sir! :smilie ...makes me feel old! I'd enjoy seeing your car, be sure to post a few picks when you're ready on the post with the others. Good luck.

Mike

On manifolds take a look at the Edelbrock Performer and performer RPM and look at the Weiand Stealth and Action Plus.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just noticed where you were from...never been to California but my understanding is that the state frowns on modifying your car. Be sure what you do is street legal. Be a shame to build the car and then not be able to enjoy it.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Preacher17 said:
Just noticed where you were from...never been to California but my understanding is that the state frowns on modifying your car. Be sure what you do is street legal. Be a shame to build the car and then not be able to enjoy it.

Mike
No worries about legalities. I am pretty much in touch with the mod laws here. But thank you for the warning.:) Oops! And sorry for calling you sir. I never meant to offend you by that. I checked Summit out to see the difference between the Edelbrock and Weiand manifolds, and so far the Weiand Stealth sounds like a good one to go with. Now I must find out whether it wil work with my Edelbrock 600cfm carb. Also, I see myself going to the auto-swap meets soon for those 351w heads. Either that, or checking on the rebuilt headsuppliers in my area. I am certain I can find a good deal somewhere, as long as I know what I am looking for.:) That 331, or 347 stroker idea sounds kool. One day, I might resort to doing that too.:thumbsup For now, I wish to try and work with what I have. I still want to run through the entire car, so that everything is just as I feel it should be. I'm just picky like crazy. Can't help it. I'm a Libra.:tongue

·
Registered
12 Posts
:kooky: I just received my books today. I have that "How to Build Max Performance Ford V8s On A Budget" by George Reid, and "How to Build HIgh-Performance Ignition Systems" by Todd Ryden. That'll be way more than enough to keep me busy for a while. Thank you much.:thumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.