Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Isn't there a thread here that states that they do not adjust any parameters on a tune for cai vs stock?
If that truly is the case, then I can only conclude the cai is not all that and a bag of chips. Look at it this way: As soon as the throttle is even slightly closed, the restriction is not in the air intake, but the TB. Which makes me wonder how you get better mileage. I have to think that the engineers at ford pull hairs out of their sack to improve mileage. If they could get more mileage that they can advertise with, they WOULD ALL HAVE IT. And the stock intake is pretty much cold air.
But, this horse has been beaten to death. Whatever. I been drinkin.
Wow, I've seen you on here before and you still don't get it... Do you believe the same thing about headers, x pipes, and mufflers? I mean if the ford engineers are the smartest people on the planet and they really want the absolute best performance from the factory, then all the factory parts must be way superior than anything else out there right?:banghead: I know I'm stupid for trying to talk sense to you, and obviously nobody else wants to waste their time with you anymore... Just look up all the 1/4 mile videos, dyno videos, etc... on youtube.com and every single one of them installed a CAI first and a tune! Yes they do work. And gas mileage goes up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If Ford put everything under the sun possibly available to improve the performance of its cars, there would be no place for an aftermarket industry, right? Guess what, there's a billion dollar aftermarket industry. How's that for genius?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Still on the subject of beginner's upgrades but addressing another component, I just ordered a set of Steeda Chromoly Lower Control Arms from American Muscle. I didn't add extra for the spherical bearings (bushings, whatever). Not sure they're necessary anyway. I hope they deliver on the wheel hop issue, but we'll see. For $229 and some home-made elbow grease for the installation, I'd say it's a decent beginner's mod. Improved traction is always a good thing.

I looked at the less expensive Ford Racing GT500 LCA's ($164) but they REALLY looked CHEAP in construction. I decided to go the "you get what you pay for" route. With a mildly modded car on stock rims and tires, and barely 330 HP at the crank (maybe), I suppose the Steeda's will be a good buy.

Sorry. Not trying to hijack the thread. But in keeping with the OP's wishes, I'd recommend some good LCA's, based upon all I've read so far.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Got that right, Cannonballer. On my first strip trip, I was more inhibited by wheel hop than any time since 1972 in my '71 leaf spring Cyclone. Control arms it is ! Simultaneously with the aftermarket shifter.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Got that right, Cannonballer. On my first strip trip, I was more inhibited by wheel hop than any time since 1972 in my '71 leaf spring Cyclone. Control arms it is ! Simultaneously with the aftermarket shifter.
What is this shifter you speak of? Manual shifter (as if I really have to ask?) What does it cost? What are the benefits? So far mine seems to shift just fine (smoothest shifting stick I've ever had), except that I do "miss a throw" every now and then.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wow, I've seen you on here before and you still don't get it... Do you believe the same thing about headers, x pipes, and mufflers? I mean if the ford engineers are the smartest people on the planet and they really want the absolute best performance from the factory, then all the factory parts must be way superior than anything else out there right?:banghead: I know I'm stupid for trying to talk sense to you, and obviously nobody else wants to waste their time with you anymore... Just look up all the 1/4 mile videos, dyno videos, etc... on youtube.com and every single one of them installed a CAI first and a tune! Yes they do work. And gas mileage goes up.
Sorry Jeff, but the engineer in me makes me the doubting Thomas. Please explain to me how at partial throttle (i.e., driving) how a less restrictive intake improves mileage. The restriction is the throttle, not the intake system. I don't doubt that a tune offers improvement, (And again, even the tuners acknowledge not having to shift tables for an aftermarket intake) but for me, it will happen after warranty. Despite what some here believe, if you lunch an engine or transmission, a sharp tech (Or more likely Ford engineer) can identify if a tune has been installed and removed. That's fine if you know that going in, but there are repercussions if it hits the fan.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Sorry Jeff, but the engineer in me makes me the doubting Thomas. Please explain to me how at partial throttle (i.e., driving) how a less restrictive intake improves mileage. The restriction is the throttle, not the intake system. I don't doubt that a tune offers improvement, (And again, even the tuners acknowledge not having to shift tables for an aftermarket intake) but for me, it will happen after warranty. Despite what some here believe, if you lunch an engine or transmission, a sharp tech (Or more likely Ford engineer) can identify if a tune has been installed and removed. That's fine if you know that going in, but there are repercussions if it hits the fan.
I see your point, but so far I'm not aware of anyone who has murdered their car with tunes available for standard grades of pump gas. Not with less than 30 HP on the table. The only character I know of fessed-up to killing his car with an experimental 110 octane tune and then pushing it past the breaking point well after it showed signs of trouble.

I'm not trying to stir the point, just saying that it would be just as easy to kill this car without a tune as with the scrawny little 18-30 horses one might deliver to the crank. Neither a tune nor a CAI (nor headers and open X-pipes) are whopping mod's on the V6. The ProCharger, on the other hand...

But even still, Shelby/Ford will now supply you with a ProCharger (without any internal modifications, save for perhaps the flywheel) from their GT-350 package if you have the bucks. Sooooo...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think for the most part a tune will not hurt an engine.
I am always planning for the what-ifs in my world. I can not afford an engine, and will keep my tune stock until warranty is done. No biggie for me. Just don't want people thinking it is completely risk free. (Nothing in life is, I know)
The tune is in some cases, surely reducing the comfort zone of some parameters. The 30 horses is probably not the issue, temps/ bmep's/ preignition and rpm's are more threatening.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Cannonballer and original BrandNewStang, Barton, Steeda, and now UPR have shifters out for the MT82. The Barton looks really nice, costs nigh $300 (more with the special shifter bushing), and has the benefit of being made in obscure Cincinnatus NY (wife's ancestors are from near there). The UPR has a more traditional look, costs $139 or, as a package with their shifter bushing, $179. The Steeda looks like the UPR and costs $229 or thereabouts, no bushing included. Guess which I'm getting?

J

·
0 Posts
I've spoken to the sharp Ford techs, many of whom are also mustang enthusiast. What they see is a lack of data recorded, same as if the battery had been left disconnected for a minute. As far as a less restrictive intake goes, if you don’t understand air flow, then compare it to an electrical circuit. If you understand ohms law, then you know if you put another resistor in series you are doubling resistance which is what you are doing with the restrictive air box. Also you are shortening the length of the intake tube/electronics double the length of the wire double the resistance. Plus getting rid of all the ruffles, bends, and baffles and decreasing intake air temp.
If you still don’t comprehend, have you ever exercised wearing a gas mask? Either the old MCU-2A or newer M-50 style is like putting a restrictive air box on your face. It doesn’t matter that you have a tiny throttle plate which is your mouth or throat, because you’ve added more resistance in series it makes it very difficult to breath. Even though some “brilliant” engineer designed it! I’m still gasping for breath trying to do my job and get accurate rounds down range. I probably just wasted my breath again, but hopefully you’re beginning to comprehend.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There really needs to be a sticky on certain mods, beginner mods etc.

Be really helpful.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts