Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is finally the answer to why my 5.0 has been squealing (I've thought it was the throw out bearing). I see a metal piece attached to a tensioned cable vibrating against the bellhousing. What is this piece and if I tighten up the tension will it quit vibrating against?

Right around this spot the bell housing is cracked. The clutch is getting a little hard to push down and the transmission has been coming out of gear when in 4th or 5th sometimes. What can I do about this crack (on a tight budget)? Is there supposed to be grease/oil in there, because there seems to be a bunch of oil around the spot where the shifter comes up through the floor. If so where is the plug, how do I fill it, and what do I put in there? The only plug i could find said "this is not an oil plug, do not open this".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can anyone help me out? Especially in finding out what this bracket is that sticks out of the bell housing. There is a cable that attaches it and runs up through into the dash board. I can't figure out what it is but the high pitched squealing, which I thought to be the throw out bearing, is coming from there. Maybe it IS the throw out bearing and the bracket somehow holds it? But I had it running and wedged a piece of wood between this piece and the opening in the bell housing and it made the car shut up. I'd really like to hear some advice if anyone knows anything about this bracket.

Again what are the complications with a cracked bell housing? Can it live on like this, can I weld it, or should I try to find another one?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only cable from your bellhousing to ur dash would be your clutch cable. Maybe its to tight now thats why its hard to use it? I am not certain. Check craigslist or ebay. Its free to change no gaskets!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If you're on that tight of a budget, you could have it welded but only run it that way until you get a new bellhousing. That's not something you want to run with a crack in at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're on that tight of a budget, you could have it welded but only run it that way until you get a new bellhousing. That's not something you want to run with a crack in at all.

+1

get it replaced ASAP!! Spending money sucks, especially when you have none, but that's the price you pay to drive one of these cars!! Cracked bellhousing = BAD news!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.