Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this site ive already done alot of reading and checking on some other sites and this one and i decided i like the looks of this one over the others and i signed up! I was hoping someone with a little more experience could give me some help. Ive owned a 2001 Performace Red Mustang with a 4.6 V8 for a few months now after totaling my 98 coupe. Ive recently noticed a loud squeaking type sound coming from the belt/pulley area in the front. Engine and chassis both have about 31000 Miles on it so i wouldnt expect anything huge to be going wrong.
It is only on cold start up when left sitting overnight. Today when i checked it i let it idle for a few mins and it didnt stop. (its not a constant sound theres a mili-second delay between each squeak of the belt/pulley. its very very slight but it is there...i dont know if that makes a difference but i want to fully explain the situation.) i took it for a single lap around the block which was no more than a few mins and the sound was completely gone. This is the way it always is i can drive it for a few mins and it will stop. But when i first start it up for the day i need to use some sort of lubricant(wd-40. etc) to make it stop and if i hit the gas the squeak gets louder and more constant. i looked at a side view of the belt running and it looks completely aligned and seems to be on the right track ive had a few mechanic buddys of mine take a look and they said the belt is perfectly fine but they didnt have the tools to check the pulleys. The sound comes from the left side(passenger) of the pulley system but its hard to pinpoint right where its coming from.
so my question is what pulley could this be? or if its the starter? or maybe not even a real problem at all...
i know i just said a lot but i like to be thorough and make sure everything is completely explained. if anyone can give me some help with this it will be greatly appreciated!
thank you very much,
chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
My 2000 GT has the exact same squeak when cold. I'm almost positive it is the upper idler pulley but it feels tight with no wobble. I'm not going to throw parts at it til it gets worse. It's been like this since early spring but is not getting any worse. It goes away after just a few mins of running. BTW I'm at 110K mi. but I don't know if it is the original idler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as soon as i read your response about the tensioner i went out and checked it. there is some free play with it. you have to put a little effort into it but it does move slightly back and forth i checked the bolt it is tight... so maybe that would be the solution? im not sure if theres suppose to be even the slightest of free play back and fourth with the tensioner but it is the only part of the pulley system that moves out of place and it does sound like it could be coming from that region. i may try that i just want to make sure my moneys going in the right spot first.
does anyone know if my problem sounds too serious to drive to mass? its about a 3-4 hour drive for me... or should i get it fixed first? :im confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts