Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that Reggie and Eagle can give some advice on this question. I replaced the serpentine belt on my 90 Gt about 10k miles ago and I noticed the other day that the edges were becoming frayed in certain spots on the top half of the belt and there was a crack on an angle on the top side of the belt The range for the tensioner was in the center of the indicator so that appeared ok but the pully itself looked like it had a nice groove waring into the area where the belt rides. This looked like it could possibly be the factory tensioner and pully and that would mean it has 151,000 miles on it. The pully did not wobble or drag when spun. The problem bothered me enough to go and buy a new tensioner and pully from auto zone. My question is that the new part does not have a range indcator like the factory one so how do you know if the tension is correct. The only marking the new tensioner says is the number 4 with a line above and below it also they the aligning dow on the new tensioner did not fit in the hole properly when the bolt was threded through the new tensioner so I used a rat tail file to enlarge the aligning dow hole. Is this ok to do or did I ruin the bracket. Also the tensioner provides a new bolt and when I used this new bolt it would not tighten down the whole way and bottomed out on the bracket. When I backed the new bolt out it stripped one possibly two sets of threads out of the very front of the bracket. Upon closer inspection of the instruction of the new tensioner instructions it said to use there new bolt with the old nut from the old tensioner. Well guess what, The old factory tensioner does not use a nut on the end of the bolt it is a bolt through design. After spending an extra hour trying to get the tensioner to sit flat on the bracket and filing the metal to make the dow hole bigger I finally used the factory bolt and everything tightened down tight and ligned up good. The belt has some freeplay in it but not as much as the old one with the factory tensioner. I just hope that everything stays in alignment and that the plastic plastic pully on the new tensioner does not turn out to be a piece of junk. I know this is a lot of info but I hope that someone can put my mind at ease. Also would that dow hole being a little larger cause the tensioner to move from side to side in the future.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My question is that the new part does not have a range indcator like the factory one so how do you know if the tension is correct

The tensioners are spring loaded, they arent adjustable like some cars, you just get an 18mm wrench to undo the tension and slide the belt on. Nothing else. The plastic pulley is fine, thats the difference in repro stuff vrs "new old stock". I wouldnt stress.

As far as stripping the new bracket, I am finding it hard to make out what your saying, You should be able to just bolt on the new tensioner and go. Shouldnt have that much work with it, maybe you got a dud.??? Sorry I couldnt tell you more but if the new tensioner is on and bolted tightly and the tensioner seems to be applying a good amount of tension I wouldnt stress over it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There is an ideal "range" for the tensioner but it applies the same tension reguardless. Like if you get rid of your smog pump you can still run a stock belt without maxing out the tensioner and its applying the same tensile strength it just looks like its almost maxed out.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
If everything was lined up, the problem sounds like too much tension on the belt.

If there's no belt squeal or slippage, then the tension should be fine.
If you got the Duralast tensioner, it isn't like the factory unit. It doesn't bolt up just like the factory but as long as the tensioner is tight, it'll be fine. In fact, it's supposed to give a little to always have just the right tension.

I had one of those and I had to go to Lowes and get a grade 8 bolt for it and go all the way through it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the response. This was the first time I used an aftermarket tensioner on any of my mustangs and I wanted to be sure. Also please forgive all of my spelling errors on this post I was in a hurry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.