Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing that a Torque Converter offers the best bang-4-yer-buck for automatics, even better than a tune. However I really don't know what the heck a Torque Converter actually does?

This page: http://www.jmschip.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=400

says it "Loosens" up 600-700rpm compared to stock one and costs around $450.

Does anybody have one of theses installed? What exactly are the benefits? I'm guessing it "frees up torque" i.e. give you more so you can run down quicker 1/4 miles?

If someone has one is it worth it? If it is, is it difficult to install?

Thanks for any info/feedback.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It basically allows the car to launch at a higher rpm level.

Right now your car moves (lets use a completely arbitrary number for the sake of example.)
at 1200 rpms, meaning that the car doesnt start moving until it reaches that many. If you switch to a higher stall lets say a 2400 stall, the car will now launch at 2400 rmps. So basically your launching higher into the powerband where the car is making more power.

I hope I explained that correctly, there is certainly more to it than the way I described but I think it should give you a basic idea. And Im sure someone else here will shed a little more light n the subject.

I have a 2800 stall on mine. Was it worth it? Yes. I didnt install it myself though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts