Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 3.8l mustang, I know literally nothing about exhausts so dumb it down for me. I'm looking for the cheapest option, and I also know it isn't going to sound like a v8. Also where could I go to get it installed? I'm talking like a $30 muffler or something. I'm just tired of the boring sounding exhaust note.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an 04 3.8l mustang, I know literally nothing about exhausts so dumb it down for me. I'm looking for the cheapest option, and I also know it isn't going to sound like a v8. Also where could I go to get it installed? I'm talking like a $30 muffler or something. I'm just tired of the boring sounding exhaust note.
Welcome to the site.

$30 might be able to get you some cutters to chop off your muffler but that's about it.

You're likely not going to be able to get anything under about $75, and shop installation alone may cost about $100.

I strongly encourage you to do some research and consider buying a quality muffler so your car won't just sound annoyingly loud.

Borla, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster are some big brand names.

I pulled up some direct links to mufflers for your car:

1999-2004 Mustang Mufflers | AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping

1994-2004 Mustang Mufflers | CJ Pony Parts

1994-2004 Mustang Mufflers

A dealership will be happy to install a muffler....for a premium price. Otherwise, if you know anyone who is slightly mechanically inclined, all you'll need is a jack, a torque wrench, and some sockets.

Nice looking car in your avatar by the way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
if you like rasp then you'll love glass packs. if you prefer deep rumbles then perhaps get a thrush welded series muffler from advance auto for like $40. they are pretty much a flow 40 but half the price

now normally i wouldn't go the single muffler route but you're wanting a budget build. so here i found an exhaust clip of the muffler just swapped out. usually a shop will charger $25 or so to swap a muffler so it's not an expensive upgrade sound wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yh9AzijRyo

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with Iconiq. I guess personally I would go with the Thrush muffler. I don't like the raspy sound, it sounds too much like a ricer. You've got a Mustang so I would try to distance yourself from the raspy sounding imports. You're right, it won't end up sounding quite like a v8, but you're off to a decent start with the Thrush muffler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts