Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I know this is more for the power adders forum but I figured almost everyone here has one of these two mods...I am looking at a supercharger for the fun factor and stuff but a local performance shop will put me in 3.73 gears for 450.00 total out the door...The owner said two stock cars one with the 3.73's gearing and one with the supercharger will run about the same and have the same punch feel...If this is true than 450.00 sounds a lot better than 2000.00 for the paxton...I still plan on getting the paxton one day, but if 450.00 bucks will make my car perform and feel like it would with the charger then that is a pretty easy decision for me...Question is, is this guy right?????? I have the stock gears at this point and all I can do is chirp my tires (barely), it is an automatic...Will the 3.73's make my car feel as though I put a supercharger on it?...I am really just looking for more fun factor when I hit the gas...Please give me all your thoughts on this...Also I hear gears is nothing for someone who hasn't done it before to attempt...I do all my own work but have never done anything with the rear end except change the fluid...The guy told me he does about 5 fox body stangs a month so I shouldn't worry about him doing this procedure right?

Thanks,
JSK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
There is no contest in Bang for the Buck factor. If you are on a low budget, get the gears. I would bump up to 4.10s instead of 3.73s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Get the gears for sure (3:73s) then save up for a good H/I/C combo. I just read a Hot Rod mag about how they took a bone yard 91 5.0 and put all Edelbrock stuff on it (heads, intake, cam)and it made 388 horse at the crank! This was a high mileage engine also. Keep in mind the power band of a typical 5.0 is down low so I would want to stay down low a little longer (4.10 - 3.73 debate). Plus who wants to run out of gear on a top speed run... If it was mine I would do the gears, then do some tranny work (shift kit, rebuild, torque converter).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
dollarbill said:
Get the gears for sure (3:73s) then save up for a good H/I/C combo. I just read a Hot Rod mag about how they took a bone yard 91 5.0 and put all Edelbrock stuff on it (heads, intake, cam)and it made 388 horse at the crank! This was a high mileage engine also. Keep in mind the power band of a typical 5.0 is down low so I would want to stay down low a little longer (4.10 - 3.73 debate). Plus who wants to run out of gear on a top speed run... If it was mine I would do the gears, then do some tranny work (shift kit, rebuild, torque converter).
You run out of gear on a top end run with the numericaly higher numbers not the other way around.

And as far as the original question about gears feeling like a supercharger?
No way. If you just want a little bump to horse around with then get the gears but remember gears dont actually add any horsepower, it just feels like it. A supercharger can add a good 100hp. But of course from a price standpoint it cant compare to the gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,809 Posts
I'd get the gears first. Later on when you start adding better heads, intake, exhaust,etc... that supercharger will get in the way real fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
STONECOLD said:
You run out of gear on a top end run with the numericaly higher numbers not the other way around.

And as far as the original question about gears feeling like a supercharger?
No way. If you just want a little bump to horse around with then get the gears but remember gears dont actually add any horsepower, it just feels like it. A supercharger can add a good 100hp. But of course from a price standpoint it cant compare to the gears.
Thats what I meant to imply. If he got 4.10s he would have a lower top speed than if he got the 3.73s. I would go for the 3.73s or even 3.55s with a 5.0, because most of the time you start with 2.73s or 3.08s if your lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
dollarbill said:
Thats what I meant to imply. If he got 4.10s he would have a lower top speed than if he got the 3.73s. I would go for the 3.73s or even 3.55s with a 5.0, because most of the time you start with 2.73s or 3.08s if your lucky.
Ah, sorry I misunderstood you. Yeah when I finally get a SC ill most likely be dropping to 3.55's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,809 Posts
You will get tired of taking it off every time you want to remove / install things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
I'm running 4.10s and a blower . . . and I still feel like I have time for a snack and a nap between gears . . . lol
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top