Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04 GT and want to know what would be my best Mods. I was going to start with CAI, throttle body and plenum, what is a good one for the money and what other mods will help? This forum is loaded with alot of great info....:eyepoppin

·
Registered
604 Posts
stang4 said:
I just bought an 04 GT and want to know what would be my best Mods. I was going to start with CAI, throttle body and plenum, what is a good one for the money and what other mods will help? This forum is loaded with alot of great info....:eyepoppin
A lot of people will tell you to buy gears.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I've been reading, I really don't want to do that yet, the car only has 17k on it

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would go with
Catback Exhaust
high flow catted or offroad x or h pipe
hand held tuner or chip
gears
cold air intake
throttle body and plenum
i got shifter and its nicer inorder to just shift by quickly
if you want to go inside motor.. then cams.. lol

this game applies to what you want to do and how big your wallet is =)
good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Before My supercharger the best bang for the buck for me was gears. Huge difference.

·
Banned
918 Posts
There is no best bang for the buck except gears. Nitrous is in second place but that involves hp

·
Banned
918 Posts
You are wasting your money for really less than 10-15 rwhp. Gears are what is going to be very noticeable especially 4.10's. That car will feel like it has an extra 100 hp and 100 lbs of torque after the gears.

It's your car, and if you want to blow 400 on those mods that will do very little to a stock car, then be my guest. I will wait for the "man this sucks, I didn't feel that much of a gain" post from you.

·
Registered
604 Posts
blackfang said:
You are wasting your money for really less than 10-15 rwhp. Gears are what is going to be very noticeable especially 4.10's. That car will feel like it has an extra 100 hp and 100 lbs of torque after the gears.

It's your car, and if you want to blow 400 on those mods that will do very little to a stock car, then be my guest. I will wait for the "man this sucks, I didn't feel that much of a gain" post from you.
I don't mean to steal the thread, but are gears harsh on the tranny? I really don't understand the concept of gears and how they make the car faster. Can you guys explain?

·
Banned
918 Posts
Not at all. A bad driver and a ton of hp beyond the transmissions ability to hold and handle the power is.

The gears change the cars rate of acceleration. They causethe drivetrain to rotate faster in the rear end by the change of the gear ratios. When it spins faster it allows a faster rate of speed. It also multiplies the torque factor giving the car the feeling it has more hp and torque.

Youy can easily gain anywhere from .3-.5 seconds off your time with just gears alone.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Im sorry black fang but if you dont want 10-15rwhp then thats kinda dumb something is anything. and also, 4.10s are a little bit to much for a daily drive like i am sure his is. if you want more than 373s go with 390, but 373s are the safest, you dont want your motor reving crazy high all the time it makes a difference in the upper speed for example my car at 80 is just at 2500rpm, with 390s i calced it to be like almost 2800, the purpose of 5th gears is for overdrive. and if your 5th is like 4th then whats the point. i know because i was having this dilemma too.

Gears basically allow your motor to spool up quicker to get to yourpower bang faster and go through the gears in tranny faster therefor making you go faster.

i will agree it did feel like when i got my gears in it did feellike i had extra HP.

If you want to be safe, get really good rear end fluid, new bearing kit, and have a really good installer. you shoul dhav eno problems.

I have heard accufab is a good throttle body plneum kit. they say 70mm for a car that has no turbo or blow is all you need because 75 would actually "hurt" your cars performance. but i dont know whihc size i am going to go with yet. good luck with your modding.

·
Banned
918 Posts
carguy1985 said:
Im sorry black fang but if you dont want 10-15rwhp then thats kinda dumb something is anything.
How? I rather gain .3-.5 than .1 and actually notice a huge increase in performance. 10-15 was being nice on those figures.
For a stock car and spending 400 bucks on those mods as your first mods won't give you the best bang for the buck. Especially when you want the best bang for the buck. I am sorry but gears is without a doubt is the best bang for the buck period. Those mods will not to anything noticeable like the gears will.
Why increase the cars breathing when you are restricting the exhaust? If you are going to do those mods, then compliment those mods with a better, overall setup including ported intake, heads, cams and full exhaust. All those mods are doing is depleting his checkbook for what? A little increase that really will not be noticed.

and also, 4.10s are a little bit to much for a daily drive like i am sure his is. if you want more than 373s go with 390, but 373s are the safest, you dont want your motor reving crazy high all the time it makes a difference in the upper speed for example my car at 80 is just at 2500rpm, with 390s i calced it to be like almost 2800, the purpose of 5th gears is for overdrive. and if your 5th is like 4th then whats the point. i know because i was having this dilemma too.
That is your opinion, but the fact is 4.10's are on daily driven cars with 24+ mpg so the gears will not hurt the cars mpg. Actually the motor won't be turning"crazy high"(define that by the way?) rpms. In fact city driving he will be at lower rpms as the gearing will make 4th and 5th gears more usable around town and still be under 2,000 rpms. Too many people fear the gear, or don't understand them. 3.73's are a waste on a NA SOHC which revs to 6250 and needs gears to come alive. Either go do it right, or don't do it at all. 3.90 and 4.10's is like a 150 rpm difference which isn't noticed in mpg.

·
Registered
701 Posts
blackfang said:
Not at all. A bad driver and a ton of hp beyond the transmissions ability to hold and handle the power is.

The gears change the cars rate of acceleration. They causethe drivetrain to rotate faster in the rear end by the change of the gear ratios. When it spins faster it allows a faster rate of speed. It also multiplies the torque factor giving the car the feeling it has more hp and torque.
The reason why gears show such huge improvement is because:

Horsepower at a certain RPM is responsible for a change in velocity.
If the shift point would be 6000 RPM, you would drop down to aproximately 4000 RPM shifting into the next gear. An average 4.6 motor only has about 200 HP at 4000 rpm (which is about what happens whith a 3.27 gears)
Changing gears to a 4.10 gear narrows, reduces the drop. If you now shift at 5600 you will end up at 4500 in next gear.
This means that the average HP (4500 RPM - 5600 RPM) increases dramatically over the average (4000 RPM - 6000 RPM) with stock gears
That's how it works.

Attachments

·
Banned
918 Posts
Ok so in english it pretty much translates to what i said:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
You will have to excuse Blackfang and a few others. They like to get into shouting matchs every now and then. Gears will make your car seem like it has 50 to 100hp more, but if you don't want to do this mod yet then check into a good exhaust system (headers,h or x-pipe, catback) then a CAI, & throttlebody/plenum combo. These mods will add about 20+hp which will increase with future mods. Accufab is a good throttlebody/plenum kit for $399.00 for RMPOUTLET.com. If you plan on a supercharger in the future then get the 75mm kit, if not then a 70mm kit should be fine. BBK,Hooker,& Kooks make a great set of headers with prices starting about $400.00 & up for a set of long tubes (shorties are cheaper but you get more HP from long tubes).Exhaust depends on what you like so try to listen to every companys product and decide for yourself. K&N, Densecharger,& BBK makes good CAI's so check to see what brand looks good and makes good hp (research the companys product on line). Also underdrive pullies free up hp and are reasonably priced (try Steeda).

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Blackfang, i am not disagreeing wiht you, i know gears are the best, when i got my 373s thats the best 450dollars spent. No .1 is still better than running your constant speed. lets say 13.5 always with gears bla bla bla, why not go witha 13.4 maybe 13.3 if you hook better you know.

any
a 2002+ Gt with a Tr3650 tranny has the following gear ratios
1st 3.37
2nd 1.99
3rd 1.33
4th 1.00
5th .67
final 3.27 = 1,433rpm at 50mph in 5th
Now
final 3.73 1,635rpm at 50mph in 5th
final 3.90 1,710rpm at 50 in 5th
final 4.10 1,797rpm at 50 in 5th.

now lets take 327,373 and 410 at 75mph for highway driving
327 = 2150
373 = 2453
410 =2696
t=the higher you go in speed the greater the gap between gears.
the whole purpose of gears are to spin motor quicker thats why you have to speedo correct because the tranny spins faster and it thinks the cars going faster than it really is.

what the do you think revs to 6250rpm... yea btw rev limiter is set to 6051 on most 99+gts anyhow 4.6L motors stop producing HP at like 5500 rpm, so whats the point in reving the car past its capacities.
By your logic why not slap 300shot of nos, because it will make car go faster and be more usable in town.
For a daily drive having your car reving more than usual, is wear on ever internal engine components.
i suggest you really think about what you say, its pretty much obvious common sence.
Here why dont you do this, drive in 3rd gear all the time... and see waht happens you will feel like it will come alive because you are already reved up and ready to go. i was even told that 410s might be too much for daily drive, by a mechanic that installs on mustangs.

p.s. you want to rev to 6250 you need cams to take you there and give you power there.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Jokers97GT said:
You will have to excuse Blackfang and a few others. They like to get into shouting matchs every now and then. Gears will make your car seem like it has 50 to 100hp more, but if you don't want to do this mod yet then check into a good exhaust system (headers,h or x-pipe, catback) then a CAI, & throttlebody/plenum combo.
I have to agree with Jokers. My statement above only explained the effect of numericaly high gears - Personally I can not recommend it. In My '70 Dodge Challenger R/T I had a set of 4.10 gears, I hated them. High RPM's @ highway speeds, affects gas mileage, more wear on the motor.

As Jokers already said:
- CAI
- throttlebody/plenum combo
- exhaust

I would also add:
- diablo sport reprogrammer
- underdrive pulleys

·
Registered
119 Posts
i would say get the 4:10's they are on my daily driver and they are great! but if you dont want the gears right now i would get the diablosport before you get the accufab combo they are both the same price $399.99 so its up to you

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
you know what i totally agree with Joker97gt, if you note that list of mods was what i put first on my original post before blackfang.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Jokers97GT said:
You will have to excuse Blackfang and a few others. They like to get into shouting matchs every now and then. Gears will make your car seem like it has 50 to 100hp more, but if you don't want to do this mod yet then check into a good exhaust system (headers,h or x-pipe, catback) then a CAI, & throttlebody/plenum combo. These mods will add about 20+hp which will increase with future mods. Accufab is a good throttlebody/plenum kit for $399.00 for RMPOUTLET.com. If you plan on a supercharger in the future then get the 75mm kit, if not then a 70mm kit should be fine. BBK,Hooker,& Kooks make a great set of headers with prices starting about $400.00 & up for a set of long tubes (shorties are cheaper but you get more HP from long tubes).Exhaust depends on what you like so try to listen to every companys product and decide for yourself. K&N, Densecharger,& BBK makes good CAI's so check to see what brand looks good and makes good hp (research the companys product on line). Also underdrive pullies free up hp and are reasonably priced (try Steeda).
Who said anything about shouting matches? Where is this a shouting match? Looks to me it is a debate on what is the best bang for the buck, where i offered the right info.

The issue lies in some of you who assume I am yelling, when this is a mere debate just like any other one on any other site.
I rather spend 400 bucks to go from a 13.8 to a 13.3(gears) than spend the same money an go from a 13.8 to a 13.7 or 13.6 because i got a TB. It doesn't look like that much of an improvement. We can't think about future mods, they aren't installed yet. The discussion is best bang for the buck now not later on with this or that mod and this or that power adder.

How does BBK make a good cai when its metal and has 90* bends? Common sense will tell you anything with metal in it will not work in cooling air on its own. if anything a K&N, Densecharger or JLT all proven and made with plastic and no sharp bends that slow down air flow.

I have to agree with Jokers. My statement above only explained the effect of numericaly high gears - Personally I can not recommend it. In My '70 Dodge Challenger R/T I had a set of 4.10 gears, I hated them. High RPM's @ highway speeds, affects gas mileage, more wear on the motor.
Compare the affects of gears on a 70's pushrod Big or small block motor that has more torque to an overhead cam torqueless motor :laughlitt

There are thousands running 4.10's on daily driven 4.6 2V's and 4V's with ZERO issues. I Have had 3 A 2V and 2 4V'swith gears 4.10's and 4.30's and no issues.

Plain and simple and this is my debate since the beginning, gears are the best bang for the buck on a stock motor. If you are not willing to put gears in it, then leave the car stock. Invest money in something else than a car where you wont be worried about wearing something else down faster9not that any other mod cant do it either).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.