Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
The January 2006 issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords compares 11 CAIs for the Mustang GT. C&L and JLTs were the top-rated models. JLT was the higher of the two in the value department. I belive you can get the JLT one with a SCT and Brenspeed tunes.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Aztec - the one you have a link to is as good or better than any other. That one was a prototype at the time of testing and has proven since then to be as good as the others in the hp gain department. Some have said it is easier to tune than the other ones available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you haven't purchased your intake yet check out western motorsports intake system @ www.wmsracing.com I have this system on my car and it offers the coldest=densest=most power of any C.A.I. Worth a look. I have it with the ram air kit and dropped my 60-100mph time by 1.5 seconds, no re-flash to the ecu.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I personally thought that the C&L was the best constructed.

Form many conversations on here... it seems the Xcalibrator is the most common tuner used by speed shops... so down the road for a custom tune that would be the one to have.

Therefore... I have already placed my order for a C&L and Xcal-2 from Evolution.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The Ti with the MD tune is the best one I have seen! And heard! :thumbup

WMS is what it is... sorry, it cannot even be mentioned in the compairson of the C&L, JLT and Ti... :shrug

C&L is really good but provides warmer air at a higher cost... two negatives... :tongue

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the JLT Series II with the Xcal II and tunes from Bamachips.
All I have to say is it rocks!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
well after a long debate with myself, i opted for the C&L "racer" 95mm w/ sct2 tuner package. the look and ability for it to be used with the saleen s/c im getting made my choice clear. the TI had my interest for awhile but john's ability to get the intake to work with the saleen was its downfall. and as stated in earlier posts they are all basically the same. the racer has a plastic intake and an 95mm aluminum maf housing which i like . the overall fit and finish of this product. is good , from the clamps to the filter, top notch. vynle:winks

·
Registered
829 Posts
vynle said:
well after a long debate with myself, i opted for the C&L "racer" 95mm w/ sct2 tuner package. the look and ability for it to be used with the saleen s/c im getting made my choice clear. the TI had my interest for awhile but john's ability to get the intake to work with the saleen was its downfall. and as stated in earlier posts they are all basically the same. the racer has a plastic intake and an 95mm aluminum maf housing which i like . the overall fit and finish of this product. is good , from the clamps to the filter, top notch. vynle:winks
Glad to hear you decided! It is a tough choice amidst all the hollering here!

I have been reading a bit of bad publicity for the Xcal2 recently concerning the seller locking out certain functions of the tuner. The seller/tuner also has to have ver. 3 at least of the software for them to enable some things for the consumer to use. I would ask a few questions about this issue from the seller if you can. Read it at the Mustang Source forum.

Also to note: the Diablo Predator now has the Traction Control off feature, (Xcal2 does not) as well as turning off the rear O2 sensors (Xcal2 had this first) in their latest released update for the Diablo Pred. And the Diablo is not "locked" in many settings like I mentioned above about the Xcal2.

·
Registered
261 Posts
gig, ive read the same things and it may be a concern. most tuners dont want you messin with thier tunes and thusly give closed end tunes to thier customers. now ive been assured from my supplier that i will have some adjustibility, how much remains to be seen. there also is the pro racer package that should allow the user to make adjustments to an openended tune. i do believe that if you datalog and send the info to your respective tuner he can also make adjustments and e-mail you another tune, most will do this for free. im new to this but im sure in the near future this will all become much easier, at least i hope. also many of the older sctxcal2's had a different program . the newer ones have the updated version , so ill keep my fingers crossed and hope . for anyone having problems ther may be downloads available at the sct website. most of the adjustments must be made on your computer first and then transferd to the xcal2 and from the xcal to the car. anyone wanting to adjust or make tunes should definitly have a wideband a/f guage w/ computer download ability. otherwise what good is adjusting a tune only to damage your car in the process.i guess ill know soon enough, lol. but yes i have heard alot of concerns with this issue. vynle.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am glad you are "in the know". I didn't to see you get in a bad spot.

Also it isn't just about A/F, spark advance it a key component in the power building that is a dyno session issue to "trim" in. The more efficient the combustion chamber the less advance is needed..... I plan on getting a final wrap on the mods I intend to run with, and finalize my tune with a dyno run. I will have to reach a point that I know I am done buying stuff first, in my view, that's a little down the road yet! Funny I really hit the wifes car hard and baby mine! I suppose as the weather warms up and the '06 gets a few more miles on it I will start to hammer it and "know more" about what I expect out of it as well.

I wish you the best, let us know what you end up with for adjustments.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome to the bottomless pit of choice! :winks If you're hoping for a single recommendation on the best CAI out there... think again! :eyebulge:

Every tuner, manufacturer, and owner has a different opinion of what is best. From a performance standpoint MOST, but not all, are pretty consistent. If you're wanting to make a choice I'd recommend looking both at performance AND aesthetics. In other words find the unit you like the looks of.

Speaking personally I think the MRT intake is, by far, the best looking CAI on the market. :happyhapp Is it the top performer? Not hardly. Does that make it inferior to the others? Nope. :wavey

aztecstang said:
Which ones of this kits are the best in price and in performance from http://www.modulardepot.com/product...products_id=248 or from brenspeed thinking of getting one asap. Thanks I have a 2005 gt automatic

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The X-Cal 2 has the TCS switch-around option.

Many tuners lock all or part of their tune so that you (or another tuner) can't steal the software and or/ settings. Ken has 100's maybe 1000's (many done on my car) of hours in R&D in his S197 tunes... why would he, how could he, make those 'secrets' available to everyone? It would take average Joe a few minutes to download it into his computer and the start selling custom tunes...

Be careful with the Saleen SC! Dunno how it comes as a free standing AM unit but installed in the car the tune and fuel system sucks!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
as far as the saleen suckin, the saleen tune does leave a little to be desired but you have to remember its made to be safe. if you add 39# injectors and hav a decent tune from a dyno or a good sct xcal2 tune, at 4psi you can have over 400rwhp. the k.bell s/c comes w/ 39#injectors, 8psi pulley and bap . it is rated at 445rwhp. the saleen with a few different mods can have the same. i got my saleen before the price increase. as of now the saleen doesnt look as good as far as price and options. but it is a sweet lookin setup, very oem. if i were to buy now i must say i would seriously look at the k.b. as far as value. the BAP option ive heard good and bad. the s/c 's for the 05-06 mustangs are all very much alike in reguards to #'s. i only want 400-420rwhp. so the saleen will fit this bill nicely. saleen s/c, c&l racer cai, 39# cobra injectors and a good tune will give me what i need. then comes the p&p heads and LT headers. vynle.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Vynle,

That's the problem, it is NOT SAFE!!!

Stock on the dyno A/F was touching 15's! If you drive a SCed Saleen hard, say +5,000 RPM every so often... Saleen is in for some trouble on their 3 year warranty... sell your stock!

Timing was advanced all the way! 30* at the peak!!! :eyebulge:

The stock 4 lb pulley put out alsmot 6 lbs. Power was better than Saleen promised, ~370 RWHP, but dangerously lean. With 39 lb injectors and quite a bit of tuning Ken got it safe with about the same power.

Added a custom CAI for about 15 or so more. Again running out of fuel, the pump dropped to 80% through 5,000 RPM. BAP will take car of that, which I BTW have heard nothing bad of, what have you heard?

With the 8 lb pulley, CAI and BAP it seams the 39 lb injectors will be the choking point!! They're close to maxed out without the pulley, all stock with the CAI!

·
Registered
261 Posts
well as far as the a/f with the stock saleen tune it was in the low to mid 13's at WOT. i agree this is not where id like to be. but this was also with the 24# injectors. the 39# offer more fuel so this should fatten up a/f to a safer 11.5- 12 a/f again w/proper tune. the stock fuel pump should be good for 450rwhp. but it is at its limits without some support. im not saying i would not use the BAP option just that it is a temporary solution and would opt for a dual f.p. later on .but this is only if i plan on upping the boost levels, which i dont plan on doing in the near future. there has been so many conflicting arguments on what is safe and which s/c setup offers the best solution. ive talked to many people in other forums and the general concensus is all these s/c's if optioned the same will yield the same results.no one is outstandingly better than the other. the 370rwhp you stated was on a mustang dyno, right? if its true that the saleen pulley yields 6psi ,then all the better for a safe 400- 420rwhp. the other possibility would be to bypass the 39# altogether and get 60# w/ a BAP or fuel pump upgrade. but this would be alittle overkill for just a 400- 420 setup. in the end #'s are just that , #'s. the safer the tune is ,the better, even if it dosnt give the #'s you want. also pegging the stock maf is an issue . MAFia or the sct big air help. but here again ive opted for a larger MAF 95mm housing which will help with the stock maf sensor not pegging. many of the a/f ratios ive seen for s/c applications were in the 11.5 to 12.5 range at WOT. vynle.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
This Saleen should be in the mid to high 400's. The stock pump will not do it w/o the BAP. The 39# injectors should just barely manage.

Dyno Jet but calibrated towards 'under load' numbers but still a bit higher than a Mustang dyno would show...

Dual fuel pumps is a less optimal solution than the BAP. With the extra pump you'll prolly need a FMU and that seldomly work out well. A BAP which is tunable like the rest of the fuel system is optimal! Not to mention the likely outcome if one outa two pumps crapp out...

If you're using the C&L intake you should be fine with the stock A/F sensor in their MAF housing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
kj_cinci said:
This Saleen should be in the mid to high 400's. The stock pump will not do it w/o the BAP. The 39# injectors should just barely manage.

Dyno Jet but calibrated towards 'under load' numbers but still a bit higher than a Mustang dyno would show...

Dual fuel pumps is a less optimal solution than the BAP. With the extra pump you'll prolly need a FMU and that seldomly work out well. A BAP which is tunable like the rest of the fuel system is optimal! Not to mention the likely outcome if one outa two pumps crapp out...

If you're using the C&L intake you should be fine with the stock A/F sensor in their MAF housing.
My two other cars with Superchargers have return fuel systems. I recommend and expect that on any car with a S/C. It is really just part of doing things correctly in my view.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
My two other cars with Superchargers have return fuel systems. I recommend and expect that on any car with a S/C. It is really just part of doing things correctly in my view.
That is one more beauty of the BAP... it render the return system obsolite for a fraction of the cost!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.