Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im wondering which cam i should go with in my gt? i want something that will have the noticible noise and give me some power for the track, but that i can still use as a daily driver. for engine mods all i have is an intake and i also have a diablosport tuner. so if anyone could give me model numbers, prices, and anything else i would need to make it fit. any info will help thanks!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
There is no best cam, the best way to choose a cam is to call a few good companies tech lines and ask them what they think, they should ask you a ton of questions about your plans, useage, etc and then they can recommend something to fit your needs. Write down the specs of what each recommends and they should all be similar, then you can ask around on here who's had experience with what brand and what they think. The cam determines a lot of characteristics of the engine, from idle and driveability quality to powerband rpm, etc so you want ti to be matched to what you use the car for. A race cam with .600 lift that makes huge power up at 6800rpm will suck on the street.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like my Comp 262AH cams. I have a 2004 Mustang GT daily driver that I run about twice a month at the strip. I picked up nice gains from 3400RPM up to about 5500RPM, with no loss in low end torque. The car pulls hard off of every up shift at the track. This is the cam that Ford should have put in the car in the first place!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice, what else did you have to buy to make it fit? hows your gas milage been after you added the cam? and what kind of tune did you have to do? sorry for all the questions lol

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I myself love Hitech stage 2 cams great power and sound.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was reading some reviews on the hitech stage 2 and they seem like good cams, did you buy any springs or get it tuned after?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I did springs by choice just thought it was best. my 01 ran great from initial start without being tuned. I would suggest getting a tune to get peak performance from your investment.

Hitech have great products and even better customer service.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did the cam affect gas milage at all before/after it was tuned? and what are the pros of getting springs because a lot of people say you dont need them with this cam

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The pros of getting springs is that the stock ones aren't meant for more aggressive profiles and can float, whereas ones meant for the cams will work better, plus they are new, and that's always nice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also what kind of hp gains do you think i would get with a cam?(i no a lot of facors affect this but whats a rough estimite)

·
Registered
80 Posts
what they're trying to tell you is that these questions are still for the manufacturer. you cant ask how much gas it will consume or hp gained untill you know an exact cam you want. Depends if it's a DOHC, or SOHC. and from looks of your front bumper, i'd assume you have a 6cyl, correct? another huge factor. I'd follow the one fella's opinion and make a call. i wouldnt be suprised to see 65hp gain for my 4.6 dohc

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
what they're trying to tell you is that these questions are still for the manufacturer. you cant ask how much gas it will consume or hp gained untill you know an exact cam you want. Depends if it's a DOHC, or SOHC. and from looks of your front bumper, i'd assume you have a 6cyl, correct? another huge factor. I'd follow the one fella's opinion and make a call. i wouldnt be suprised to see 65hp gain for my 4.6 dohc
That pretty much sums it up, no way to tell what it will be like until you decide what cam you will use, and that depends on your goals. The gains you see also heavily depend on what supporting mods you have like intake and exhaust stuff, and a tune is a must after swapping cams IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.