Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best stuff to use when I am cleaning under the hood? Its getting kind of dirty and I don't like it, it is not a good look for any mustang

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I keep mine wiped down every time I wash it so I haven't used anything in there. But what ever you do keep it away from the Alt., they don't like water or any other chemicals.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use simple green cleaner per recomendation of another forum member, works great! helps break up those really dirty areas. You can use metal polish/cleaner to shine up the hardware. Afterwards you can hit the shock towers and pinted parts with mothers detailer and/or Nano wax spray.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep mine wiped down every time I wash it so I haven't used anything in there. But what ever you do keep it away from the Alt., they don't like water or any other chemicals.
Ok its not terrible but I am very serious about keeping my mustang clean I mean it gets waxed once a week and washed 1 or 2 times a week depending on the weather. I haven't touched under the hood and its a little dusty I can wipe it off with my finger so should I just use a nice cloth and keep it clean that way? its not too bad it just looks bad to me since its mine...... I probably need to easy up a little or a scratch on it is going to kill me

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I have used simple green on some of my other cars. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used simple green on some of my other cars. Works pretty well.

ok probably a dumb question but which kind I seen house hold stuff and stuff for stainless steel.....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I wipe mine down after every wash too. But I found using a fresh batch or car soap and a paint brush works pretty well. I have a small spray bottle to put a small amount of water where I want to clean, then brush on the soap and work it in, then spray bottle to clean it off. I'll follow with my compressor to flow out any water that pools.

You son't need anything really strong like Simple Green, etc if you don't have any oil leaks. Normal dirt should dissolve away with car soap.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
armor all. keep away from the alternator theyre touchy

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
ok probably a dumb question but which kind I seen house hold stuff and stuff for stainless steel.....
I have used the household stuff and sometimes I dilute it down just a bit so it is not quite as strong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For stainless steel and other related surfaces we use this stuff at work called Shella Shine. it works great on the appliances but ive never used it on my car even tho im sure you could

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow...My car's fortunate to get a bath every week...and as for the engine bay...umm...no comment. I've actually been thinking about doing it. My problem is that with the amount of miles I travel, my car gets dirty quick (about 65-70 miles a day round trip easy). I was going to just put a plastic bag (Ziploc, whatever) around the air filter and alternator and blast it without mercy. Lol. I figure given enough time...water will dry off of electrical components. Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.