Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haya All!

Went to the track last night and had FUN!

Spun half way down and need tires for next Friday... am new at this so all and any advice regarding drags is appreciated!

Am thinking 16" rims (same style as my 19's) with BF Drag Radials 255-55-16, I think he said 10.5" wide same overall as OM, about 26" high...

I want street legal tires but the best possible track tracktion... will have ~500 RWHP soon... (~300 now...)

(For you who read the Drag Racing Forum, double posting is no good... lol, sorry!)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had problems when I went to try on rims... the back brakes are pretty big and I couldn't get a 15" or 16" rim over the brakes. I was stuck with the 17" and went out and got the MT ET Streets radials for them. I can spin those the entire way threw second gear, I start to hook up in 3rd but that's because no weight transfer. You will spin everything if you can't get the weight to the back tires. I haven't been back out since I put my tokico shocks/struts on yet. Scared I will break something lol.

I did try the BFG on my brothers 65 mustang and he probably has around 250ish rwhp, Those things wouldn't spin!!! I hated the launch cause it was so violent!! Rev to 5,500 drop the clutch and INSTANT grab!!! I read that most people say the best are the M/T but I haven't had any luck with them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
oh yea you forgot to post your times!!! What's your:
60' and 1/4 time and mph?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, was hoping nobody would ask...

Don't have the slip here, think the 60 was 2.1 I know the 1/4 was 14.38 @ 102...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea I'm running a 2+ 60's too, That's with MT's!!!!! Oh and please please do not use drag radials for daily driving!!!! I wrecked my stang already on the freeway... I live in hawaii and been driving with the MT's for almost 2 months, I was in a litlel rain shower and the back end decided to change lanes on it's own and before I knew it I did two 360's right into the gaurd rail!!! did 7,000 worth of damage. I was using the ET Street Radial version too...

·
Registered
622 Posts
2k5stang said:
I was stuck with the 17" and went out and got the MT ET Streets radials for them.
stock rims?

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Try to lower the pressure on those ET streets to 15-20 and see how it hooks. Most drag radials work best with 20 psi or less. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guys at MD told me, that MTs are better than the BFs... Any set will do now but for later (more power) I'd like to have the MTs... My tire guy recommended the BF ones (he's also a racer...)??? Your opinions?

I'll have to check if 16" will fit over the brakes? Also does the MTs come in 16s?

For MTs the guys said that you drive to the track at 20 PSI, race at around 10... round numbers, trial and error I guess... The BFs need more air, maybe 25 and 15 they guessed...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea they have MT in 16's... The 17's are 11.5 wide and they will fit on the stock rim... Recommends atleast a 9" wide but they will fit on the facotry 8". I tried PSI at all levels. If you are using the lowered sport springs that are really stiff you going to smoke your tires. Weight transfer was my biggest problem. I have two video's of me spinning my tires down the track on the MT's... one with s/c one without s/c... Keep us updated on how good they are working!!!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody know if I can fit 16x7 with a 40 offset over the rear brakes?

I guess the idea is you want smaller rims for more rubber helping in the launch? Also less unsprung weight of course...?? Otherwise why bother with small rims? Could fit some nasty rubber on some 18's...?? :confused:

And... MT's or BFG's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Anybody know if I can fit 16x7 with a 40 offset over the rear brakes?

I guess the idea is you want smaller rims for more rubber helping in the launch? Also less unsprung weight of course...?? Otherwise why bother with small rims? Could fit some nasty rubber on some 18's...?? :confused:

And... MT's or BFG's?

Thanks!
it's way harder to get the 18's to moving compared to a 16. Something about rotational momentum... Anyway, the 18's will really hurt e/t, so they say.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nonsensez9 said:
it's way harder to get the 18's to moving compared to a 16. Something about rotational momentum... Anyway, the 18's will really hurt e/t, so they say.
Yea, that makes sense... the further out from the axle you have weight the harder to rotate... I guess air and rubber is lighter (as the overall size will be the same, or close to...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I using the 17" MT ET street and I love them. Im running a 12.76 @106 mph with 1.71 60'

·
Registered
294 Posts
nautiluscont said:
I using the 17" MT ET street and I love them. Im running a 12.76 @106 mph with 1.71 60'
nice numbers for your mods! guess the gears really pull huh. what psi are you running in the back tires at the track? just curious.

off topic, how do you like your long tube headers, how about the sound? I'm back and forth between long and shortys, and I want to keep the converters. thanks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nautiluscont said:
275-40? How wide is the rim? Thanks!

I can't find rims wide enough for some serious rubber... it looks like I'll have to get 16x7 rims which can hold the BFG 255-55-16 and come to OM size, about 26" high... any suggestions on rims? 16 or 17 by 9-10.5" would be great!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought the overall diameter of the 17" and 18" rims/tires from the factory was almost the same.

nonsensez9 said:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fleg said:
I thought the overall diameter of the 17" and 18" rims/tires from the factory was almost the same.
Yes they are... you can vary the size almost indefinately with diff size rims and profile/height on tires... The larger the rim the more weight further away from the axle, which makes it harder to turn, less power to the ground...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, found some 17x9's... Now for the tires; BFG, MT, or Nitto? All 275-40-17...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I really don't think the larger rim/smaller profile factory 18" tire is much if any different then the 17" setup.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts