Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have read so many strings on here about gears that my head is buzzing. Great info but I need some input on my specific situation. I am considering going to a steeper gear. Here is my current set up.

07 convertible, 5 speed, stock 3.55's, eibach springs lowered 1.5", Saleen Stage 3 Supercharger running 9.5 PSI of boost, 20" rims w/P245/40zr20 tires. The entire wheel height is 27" when measured.

The big rims and tires (tall & heavy) are hurting me I know but I really like the look of them. So what gear. 3.90's, 4.10's? What am I gonna see, feel and get for my hard earned money? On the dyno I put down 429 RWHP and 406 FT/LBS of Torque as it sits.

Again, what are you running? Does anyone have a similar set up and if so, what was your experience?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It just all depends on what you are looking for. I am thinking you would be good in the 3.90's. Go to Richmond gear's website. They have a calculator that will tell you what rpm's you would be running at what speed. It should help you decide on what you want.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'd go with a set of FRPP 373's. They will work nice with your blower setup. Alot of people who are F/I usualy run 373's.

Go with a FRPP gear. They are one of the best for these s197s. Hardly any whinning issues.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Ok guys, I have read so many strings on here about gears that my head is buzzing. Great info but I need some input on my specific situation. I am considering going to a steeper gear. Here is my current set up.

07 convertible, 5 speed, stock 3.55's, eibach springs lowered 1.5", Saleen Stage 3 Supercharger running 9.5 PSI of boost, 20" rims w/P245/40zr20 tires. The entire wheel height is 27" when measured.

The big rims and tires (tall & heavy) are hurting me I know but I really like the look of them. So what gear. 3.90's, 4.10's? What am I gonna see, feel and get for my hard earned money? On the dyno I put down 429 RWHP and 406 FT/LBS of Torque as it sits.

Again, what are you running? Does anyone have a similar set up and if so, what was your experience?

Thanks for the help.
You forgot to include the most important information:

What RPM’s do you want to be cruising down the freeway at and at what speed. Think about that hard, and go drive the car. Drive it for 2 miles at 3,000rpm…..it will most likely drive you crazy. If it does, you want to make sure you don’t get a gear that will put you in that range. I have mine set up to run at 2400rpm’[email protected] I wouldn’t want to spin it any higher than that even if it costs me a bit of acceleration. But I have a screw blower like you so gearing the crap out of it is not necessary.

I'll bet you will want 3.73's to get a comfortable cruising RPM.

That would be about the same overall gearing I have and I have no issues with acceleration. I couldn't imagine wanting to gear my car shorter than it is. 1st gear is worthless, I just punch it and have to shift right away and 2nd gear will haze the tires even though I have some seriously sticky rubber. Shorter gearing wouldn't get me going any faster....faster. It could possibly even slow me down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.