Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the best grabbing DOT tires that will fit a Fox body Mustang hopefully WITH the quad shocks in place.

I have Nitto drag radials 245/50-16 and they are like being on ice in first and second gear at the race track.

It used to be, the last time I did this, M&H tires were the very best. I could pull the front wheels with M&H DOT's that were 26 tall and 10 section width and 15 rim with stock suspension.

What is the grabbinest street legal tire that will fit??? I have 16 inch wheels, but could buy something else.

Tom

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i would say the mickey thompson e/t streets radials but they would be slick until you heated them up.

the next choice would be the b/f goodrich g-force t/a. they are very grabby and no need to heat them up. im thinking about going with these because a friend of mine had them and loved them. they arent too bulky either.

·
Registered
914 Posts
go mickey or hoosier

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions!! Do any of those tires grab good enough to lift the front wheels off the ground??

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
M&H has some drag radials now, why not try them out?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M&H has some drag radials now, why not try them out?
I've been dying to ask, what is a white Mustang registry?

As for the tires, I learned how the EEC works by wasting hundreds of dollars. I learned what I didn't need for blower additions by wasting hundreds of dollars. I was trying not to learn what the best tires are by spending more of my wife's allowance. :D

Seriously, don't you think a wrinkle wall would hook a whole lot better than a radial?? The Nitto drag radials I "tried out" are like driving on black ice in first and second. They handle great, but they sure don't hook like a real drag tire should.

Tom

·
Registered
46,020 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you wanna be like me, you have to wait and see what I be gettn!:bigthumbsup:scratchchin

Im thinking MTs maybe :scratchchin

R

·
0 Posts
Seriously, don't you think a wrinkle wall would hook a whole lot better than a radial?? The Nitto drag radials I "tried out" are like driving on black ice in first and second. They handle great, but they sure don't hook like a real drag tire should.

Tom

i have 2 questions ......

1.have you upgraded the drivetrain (rear & axles).....

2. why not just go with a 10.5 slick

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
my falken ziex 512 hook good for the power that i lack lol but they are grippy doubt a high power car would hook with them though

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Reg,

i have 2 questions ......

1.have you upgraded the drivetrain (rear & axles).....
The parts are on the way with the gear. New Cobra differential and 31 spline four lug axles.

2. why not just go with a 10.5 slick
I like a stock looking car with air and power windows that I can drive to the track but go fast. I also want to run street tire class.

Tom

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've heard good things about the M&H radials! And the BFG's are what the big guys are running. Im not saying BFG is the only tire, but they are running low 8's- high 7's. So i'd say they hook pretty well. :scratchchin

·
Registered
3 Posts
the mt street dragstires only come in a 26x11.5 will they fit on a 17x10.5 without rubbing my upper shck on my 89 quad shock mustang gt?

R

·
0 Posts
Hey Reg,

The parts are on the way with the gear. New Cobra differential and 31 spline four lug axles.

I like a stock looking car with air and power windows that I can drive to the track but go fast. I also want to run street tire class.

Tom
I was just curious the et streets is what you want.....

or a true drag radial some of the big boy are going 200+ on them.....

I agree with you i still have A/C, P/S, electric windows & rear seat

which be coming out with the new cage.......

so yes you can go fast with out butchering the car.......

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Sorry old man but that M/T articel where he quoted the times from was from July 1998. I am pretty sure there have been some advances since then. I am sure other will chime in with their personal choices.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Sorry old man but that M/T articel where he quoted the times from was from July 1998. I am pretty sure there have been some advances since then. I am sure other will chime in with their personal choices.
:headscratch: The times i quoted were from August 2009? About the BFG's. But my cousin has M/T's on his hatch and likes them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.