Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im lookin to do a h/c/i and thinkin of goin with trick flow stage one cam, trick flow twisted wedge heads, and trick flow street heat intake manifold... but i hear you loose low end torque, whats a good combo to get me off the line fast and still get some higher rpm power??

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have AFR 165 heads. I've heard you need to change or taper walls or something in your cylinders with the twisted wedge heads. I don't know for sure, ask Eagle, he'll know.

The AFR's are direct bolt on and fit under stock valve covers :happydance:, with a little modification to the passenger oil fill side.

but then again....they're $1400+

If you can afford it, get the AFR's. and get a good set or R/R's:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
545 Posts
The stage 1 and street intake are designed to work in the lower RPM's. The Track heat intake and stage 2 cam are designed to work in a higher RPM band from what I read. The set-up should be good for getting you off the line, put some 3.73,3.90, or 4.10 gears in the car and should dance.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
TFS TW or AFR 165 heads
CompCams XE270HR-14 cam
1.6 stud-mount roller rockers
Holley Systemax II or Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake
75mm TB
76mm or 80mm MAF
4.10 gearset

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This is my car's setup

-3.73s
-AFR 165 Heads
-Motorsports 1.6 R/R's
-Motorsports Cam(B303 orE303)

-hardened pushrods
-BBK CAI
-Edelbrock RPM intakes
-1 inch spacer

-70mm Power TB
-2 inch 70mm EGR spacer
-76mm C&L MAF
-30# injectors
-Adj. FPR
-255 lph Fuel pump

I'm still working on the tune right now but I've gotten a lot closer. It pulls really hard from 3800-6000rpm.:D

I know it'll be WAY better once I get it dyno tuned...I have a friend that had the same setup and ran a 12.6 in the 1/4.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The stage 1 and street intake are designed to work in the lower RPM's. The Track heat intake and stage 2 cam are designed to work in a higher RPM band from what I read. The set-up should be good for getting you off the line, put some 3.73,3.90, or 4.10 gears in the car and should dance.
I believe you are correct!

Hey im lookin to do a h/c/i and thinkin of goin with trick flow stage one cam, trick flow twisted wedge heads, and trick flow street heat intake manifold... but i hear you loose low end torque, whats a good combo to get me off the line fast and still get some higher rpm power??
That is a good combo. That combo will perform really well on both the street and the track. I'd rate them pretty close to those AFR 165's. :bigthumbsup

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thanks for the input guys.. im gonna prolly go with my original idea...

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The plan you had is a good one, it's meant for low end torque and good upper rpms. If it was the Stage 2 cam and Track Heat, then you'd gain horsepower but lose a little torque.

About the AFR heads... they're awesome heads but the wild card is the intake valve. If any head has 2.02 intake valves, it will be shrouded by the cylinder wall, even a .030 overbore is marginal to prevent shrouding. The 2.02 is meant for larger engines which can make use of the large valve. 85% of street engines will do very well with a 1.90/1.94 intake valve. This doesn't mean the 2.02 cannot be used, I'm just saying it's not the optimal valve size to use with a stock or .030 overbore. This means larger strokers like a 347 (yes it's a 302 bored .030 over but the added cubes need the larger valve so it works) and preferably 351 based engines, or race bound 302's making upper rpm power.
This is just a guideline, and I don't ask others to substitute my words for what they intend to do. I'm just passing along the scientific approach I've learned in school and through the years.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah no problem, good luck with that. When do you think you're going to spend the big money?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what type of heads would i have to get for the stage 1 cam and street heat intake manifold.. what cc's? and O-ringed or non-Oringed??

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The trickflows are good heads for the tfs1 cam. I wouldn't use the money to get them o ringed, as is would be fine. The standard twisted wedges have a 61cc chamber.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
what type of heads would i have to get for the stage 1 cam and street heat intake manifold.. what cc's? and O-ringed or non-Oringed??

You shouldnt pick heads around a cam. You should pick a cam to work with the rest of the combo. With that said.... Like Eagle siad the 2.02 valves on the AFR heads are shrouded with a standard and .030 bore. But the TFS TW heads will out perform the AFR's. IF you take Both heads and set them up to MAX perform(so to speak) the TW is on top. The valve placement and angle give far less shrouding and a staighter shot into the cylinder. This is why the TW come out on top.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so if i go with the trick flow stage one cam, i need to get the 61cc twisted wedge heads.. what if i go with a e-303 cam? what do you guys think of the e-303?

·
Registered
292 Posts
^ :laugh: lol The e303 cam is that bad?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
ok so if i go with the trick flow stage one cam, i need to get the 61cc twisted wedge heads.. what if i go with a e-303 cam? what do you guys think of the e-303?
Your missing the point. The cam should be picked last, that means after you have everything else figured out. This is why custom cam grinders ask for a build sheet. They need all the supporting mods to be able to put a proper grind together. From gears to intake

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want the trick flow twisted wedge heads. so i figured i would go trick flow cam and intake manifold too..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.