Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting some 1 5/8" unequal length shorty headers and a 2 1/2 inch catless offroad H pipe for my 1992 5.0

I already have an Flowmaster American Thunder 2 1/2" Cat Back, but that thing needs to be louder. I still have the stock crappy header manifolds... lol. And the stock H-pipe with the 4 cats in it. Yikes.

I was curious what brand and combinations would work best with my American Thunder system.

I was interested in Mac for both... i dunno about X-pipes i think i wanna stay away from X-pipes. What is the disadvantages and advantages of X-pipes?

I read alot of bad reviews about BBK exhaust components, so i wanna steer away from them. So is Mac a good set up? what else is good? What kind of power gains would i experience?

Also i was curious what kind of performance gains you would see with a MSD coil and 8.5mm plug wires, maybe even a MSD distributor. I have a stock engine completely. I have pretty new stock replacement plug wires, origional ford coil, and a stock replacement cap and rotor as well as new Autolight Spark Plugs in her.... its tuned up good, i just was curious of gains on a stock engine with the MSD stuff?? Prolly next to no gains unless i supercharged it or something?

1992 5.0 LX Hatch Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" Cat-Back with SS Tips, K&N Airfilter with Airsilencer Removed, FRPP 3.55 Gears, March Underdrive Pulleys, BBK Adjustable Clutch Quadrant, Synthetic Oil in everything.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have BBK unequal length shorty headers, MAC o/r H pipe and MAC MUFFLERS.

I have no problems with my exhaust setup one bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haven't heard bad things about BBK exhaust, they fit well and are easy to install. My opinion, x-pipes flow better. Take a piece of paper, write an H and next to it write an x. Which do you think is the path of least resistance?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I think, in general, Mac performs a little better, but BBK fits better. The offroad pipes sound sweeeeet! I've never heard anything bad about BBK. I've bought a few Mac parts, and never had a bit of trouble with them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read on some forums somewhere before that bbk exhaust had a crappy fit and the H pipe sounded kinda tiney.

Thats somebody elses opinion though, not mine. Just what i had read.

I have a BBK Adjustable Clutch Quadrant, i know BBK makes good products.

I was finding it hard to believe there exhaust wasnt good... i know its good. Its just what is the best?

I know what your saying about the x-pipe, but dont you lose all of back pressure with x pipes, i would like to keep some bottom end power.

1992 5.0 LX Hatch - Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" Cat-Back, K&N Airfilter with Airsilencer Removed, FRPP 3.55 Gears, March Underdrive Pulleys, BBK Adjustable Clutch Quadrant, Synthetic Oil in everything.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
92LX5.0Hatch said:
Its just what is the best?
Probably Borla, or Bassani. I've heard good things about Magnaflow.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've got a set of Hooker Headers, Hi-Flow H-Pipe from somewhere, and MAC CatBack Mufflers with Dumps.

People ask me if I have power or if it's "all sound". I get insulted, rev the engine, then say "She's got some power..."

No problems with the MACs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.