Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in installing headers rather than mufflers. But what does it mean when someone says open headers because I have a video and it's the best I've ever heard. I also need to know which is the right brand for quality and do all longtube headers sound the same? Have any of u installed JBA, Kooks, or Dnyatech, or Hooker? These are the brands I'm looking at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mr. [url="#" said:
Mustang[/url] 06]I'm interested in installing headers rather than mufflers. But what does it mean when someone says open headers because I have a video and it's the best I've ever heard. I also need to know which is the right brand for quality and do all longtube headers sound the same? Have any of u installed JBA, Kooks, or Dnyatech, or Hooker? These are the brands I'm looking at.

Open headers means just that - no exhaust or mufflers connected to the headers. It is LOUD, and will definitely get you noticed, especially by the police, who will gladly reward you with a memento of their attention to you and your vehicle. In addition, you will get to feel the not so pleasant harmonic vibrations set up inside the car by the unmuffled exhaust pulsing just below the floorpan. They work well on the track (of course, with our computer-controlled fuel injection, you will need to re-flash it with a custom tune by a SCT-2 or a Predator in order to get the engine to run in that condition), but are not real "friendly" on the street.

Every header will sound a little different, depending on the primary tube diameter, primary tube length, collector diameter and length, wall thickness of the tubing, bend radii, and other factors. Regarding quality, I can't advise you. I have left my '06 stock, to date. I can say that I have used Hooker headers on quite a few cars in the past, they were of high quality and were quite effective in producing horsepower. I'm sure others here have experience with the other brands, especially regarding their installation on the '05-'06 Mustang.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since Hooker Headers are of good quality does that mean their mufflers are of good quality? Or what do you think is the best straight through mufflers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts