Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what is the Best Motor oil to use in my 1969 rebuilt 351W? The engine is mostly stock bored .30 over

What would you guys/gals figure is best??

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Modern oils have so much additive that they are all basically "good", the main thing is just to keep it changed regularly...for me my 96 cobra always gets full synthetic Mobil 1, with over 150K miles it still runs like new...I had a 289 run clean as a whistle with Castrol 10-30 for years...I'm sure you'll get a gazillion opinions on this but these are mine.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you're going to run synthetic, don't do it until your engine breaks in for a thousand or more miles - otherwise the parts won't seat properly.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you don't want to ruin the cam over time get a good zinc additive. Break the engine in on conventional with the additive then switch to what ever you want while still using the additive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont kniw what type of lifters are in the car as it was rebuilt when i bought it. I think i should be well past the break in period by know as i drove it accross atlantic canada when i bought it, plue it was rebuilt back in 2002.

the big question i guess now is convential or synthetic??? is it worth the extra bucks to go to synthetic. Is there any reason why i should use synthetic in an old engine??

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Like that has been said if its a flat tappet cam and lifters you need zinc or you can wear a cam lobe smooth.If it was me id pull the intake and see what lifters i have then pick which oil to run.The epa made most oil companies pull the zinc out because it will kill the cats on newer cars but older cars need it.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Synthetic Mobile 1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.