Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys/gals- I'm new, mostly riding motorcycles all my life but what's the best polish/wax for a black car? I see too many scratches and mars on the hood, door, etc. that's driving me crazy. Too many products on the market so I thought some of you experienced types could lead me down the path to happiness (or at least not frustration).

:smartass:

Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Black is an awesome shade but a b*tch to keep clean. Depending on the severity of the imperfections to your finish, you may need to work your way up to the polish/wax stage. Check out Autopia, lots of useful info there.
The trick is not to let the finish get to the stage it`s at presently.
Once corrected, it will be easier to maintain.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
i like meguires. thats what i use on my 85 and my 07. get the clay bar kit for like 25 bucks, and watch it turn your car from "dayum" to "DAYUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Google Race Glaze. It's a polish and sealant for cars with clear coats and I can attest that it is simply amazing. They also have a leveling compound for buffing out scratches on clear coat finishes.

A buddy of mine who is in the car business uses it and recommended it to another friend of mine who had a Lexus. He had his car parked outside and a neighbor of his was burning wood and some of the embers landed on his car and left brown spots all over the car, which was a light ivory color. It completely removed the spots and did not damage the clear coat. It looked great when he was done. There was no swirling or scratches on the clear coat when he finished applying Race Glaze and the surface was as smooth as glass.

I've actually used it on my motorcycle to polish and seal the clear coat. It is sold mostly at automotive shops and I bought a bottle off of Amazon. I haven't used it on black but after seeing what it did for his car, and how it protects my bike, I am sold on it as an excellent polish and sealant. The compound might help with the surface scratches, then a polish/sealant that would provide that protective surface once the clear coat scratches are minimized. Like Michael F said, you will have to work up to the polish, either with a light compound or with a clay bar as Silver Bullet recommended, then polish.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i made the mistake of using soft towels to wipe my car down after washes, left it covered with swirl marks. i`ll never do that again. i got them all out using a polish ( i used the #2 out of 3 step meguires polish) and a 5" variable orbit wheel, then a hand wax. right now i`m using a paste wax i got online that is awesome, collinite, its a blend of carnuba`s, but its $35 a can. it will last quite a while though and really shines. now i only wipe the car down with chamois :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have had about 6 black cars, including my stang.

Her is what I do.

1. Mothers Clay Bar system about every two months.
2. Mothers Scratch Remover on spots as needed. I use a 2 inch cotton buffing wheel on a variable speed drill - this is an advanced move that can f-up your paint if you don't know what your doing.
3. Turtle Wax's Black Box polish system using a random orbit polisher. (This takes a long time, is worth it, but only about every two months.) This is the important part particular to black cars
4. Mothers FX spray wax for after washes in between Black Box shines.
5. Only proper car wash soap like Mothers, Maguires, or Turtle Wax.
6. I use old bath towels to dry the car, but do not swirl them around. I just lay them flat and let them soak the water up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hot Damn, you guys are great! Experience helps a lot. My car is a couple years old and already has a lot of swirls in it, so I guess I have to do the polishing or rubbing compound first to get the top layer off. Then a good sealant clear or wax will hopefully do the trick.

But did I mention I'm also very lazy? I've done bikes for som long, not much there to do but wash and just wax a few parts. The car is big to me!

Did I mention I'm REALLY lazy? Plus I have multiple broken shoulders and spine, so bending over and rubbing is a ***** for me (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...). I do have a orbital buffer so that may do the trick.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Here's my sheep in wolf's clothing. Wish I had the 2011...

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sh!t, you're in Cali, if I'd known that I wouldn't have helped. j/k :p Complaining about a black car in Cali? Try six Michigan winter's. Now that tough on a black car.

Seriously, that Pony looks sharp. You might be being a bit too critical. I like the staggered tires too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went to local Wal-mart and bought Turtle Wax Black Box. It's a color wax for black cars. Unbelievable results on my all black 05. Cost was less than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought Turtle wax Black Detailer. Works great,it's a black tinted detail spray. Just wear some gloves it stains your hands. Also I use my leaf blower to dry off my car, no towel marks for me. But my neighbors think I'm crazy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just bought Turtle wax Black Detailer. Works great,it's a black tinted detail spray. Just wear some gloves it stains your hands. Also I use my leaf blower to dry off my car, no towel marks for me. But my neighbors think I'm crazy.
+1 on the leaf blower. I deliberately failed to mention that as I did`nt want my neighbors and the good folks here to think I have gone off the deep end:shigrin
What the leaf blower leaves behind can be taken care of by a waffle weaved micro fiber cloth.
Also, a foam cannon used as a pre soak will minimize swirling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
+2 on the leaf blower! An old motorcycle trick. Who wants dry spots on all that chrome anyway? And, this method works well on our Stangs too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts