Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help here…..What is the best method to purchase a 2006 GT.

1.Purchase via X-plan: I am eligible for this discount which takes about 2K off the MSRP (window sticker) no haggle – fixed discounted price.

2.Purchase via discount membership benefit: Members of Costco have this service. No haggle fixed discounted price.

3.Autoland: Car-buying service (you give them your order and they fax to dealerships) no haggle.

4.Haggle, Haggle, Haggle with the sales guy! Should I go and negotiate at the local dealership? Time is on my side, no hurry to purchase.

5. Contact dealer internet sales staff?

I see the in the Southern California area that GT’s are starting to stack up on the dealer lots. Several local dealers have the GT’s marked up from $3.5K to $7K above MSRP!(and the mark-up stickers are sun faded from sitting on the lot for the past couple of months)...however these marked up’ed GT’s don’t seem to be moving!

Any advice or recommendations!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
a guy in blue oval posted he bought thru triple A...they can order fleet(no allocation bs?) and give you a best price without haggling. I dunno, but if I had to start over, id start there.
next option is carlos at garyyeomans in daytona- too bad he cant give x anymore(not when I talked a couple weeks ago anyways) but have heard nothing but good from people that dealt with him. Think I recall a dealer in kansas thats still giving x pricing...as these start showing up on lots, deals will get better, just depends on where you are and how long you are willing to wait.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
purchase outside of calif. calif prices are ridiculous. call a dealer in OK, we are a dirt poor state and the dealers know it. they are selling for sticker, and you might get a deal or special price if you catch one at the right time. it costs about $600 to ship a car. hellva lot cheaper than 3.5 to 7 k over price! my aunt who lives in palm springs wanted a truck one time, she sent the dealer here in OK a check, the dealer sent her the truck, haggled by phone, and when your talking a new car with a warranty, less of a chance getting screwed buying "sight unseen" :eyepoppin

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this point the x-plan deal sounds the best. I bought on a-plan about a month ago (3k under msrp) and it was very difficult getting a dealer to go along. You might still have to order a car to get the deal but maybe the market has softened by now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check out http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

I just ordered my '06 Mustang GT this week for $100 less (actually $600 less... see rebate below) than invoice... no X-plan needed. I used the advice from the website to get that deal. I first checked Edmunds.com and foud out what people in my zip code are paying (a few hundred over MSRP) I went to one of the recommended websites and entered my information to recieve "free local quotes". I requested quotes from several dealers within 50 miles of my zipcode and got email back from a couple of them right away.

The dealer (auto-reply) emails generally ask you to call them so they can check their inventory... blah, blah so they can give you an accurate quote. I simply replied like this: I appreciate that you would like to deal more personally over the telephone, but I will be frank: it would be a waste of your time and mine to discuss specifics at this point. Since I have contacted several dealers via internet, I am only interested in knowing the minimum profit margin (%) you are willing to make on a Mustang GT. Once I have heard from all of the dealers who are willing to provide this information, I will contact the dealer with the best offer to discuss specifics. One offered $500 over invoice, the other offered $2000 off MSRP. The latter turned out to be below invoice, AND I joined the American Quater Horse Association this Spring so that I could get their $500 Ford rebate (you have to be a member for 60 days to get the rebate, but it's good on the Mustang GT!). So, with the rebate I'm paying $600 below invoice.

American Quater Horse Association website/Ford rebate: http://www.aqha.com/partners/index.html If anyone is interested in saddles, feed bags, cowboy hats or boots, I've got some catalogs for you! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
GTNOS said:
purchase outside of calif. calif prices are ridiculous. call a dealer in OK, we are a dirt poor state and the dealers know it. they are selling for sticker, and you might get a deal or special price if you catch one at the right time. it costs about $600 to ship a car. hellva lot cheaper than 3.5 to 7 k over price! my aunt who lives in palm springs wanted a truck one time, she sent the dealer here in OK a check, the dealer sent her the truck, haggled by phone, and when your talking a new car with a warranty, less of a chance getting screwed buying "sight unseen" :eyepoppin
Nonsense, pure and simple. bought a premium GT about 2-3 weeks ago at Mossy Ford-Pacific Beach (San Diego) for sticker (and that's right on Mission Bay, not in some East County desert or down in Chula). Also got full KBB for my '02 Grand Cherokee in trade (and you know how SUV values have soared...). They had a reasonable inventory and all were available at sticker.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I bought both of my 05's on unseasonalbly nice days. March 4th and june 4th. Late in the afternoon the dealers had no traffic on their lot and 1 sale on their sale board........they really wanted to make a deal. Good Luck!:smoke:

·
Registered
164 Posts
GTNOS said:
(Note: Calif. Residences: I’m not ragging on your state, merely try to prove a point. I’ve spent time in Calif. and it’s a beautiful state! )

GTNOS:

In response to your comments concerning “Dirt Poor” Oklahoma from an Oklahoman…

I’d be careful calling any state “dirt poor”. Have you ever been to Oklahoma? It’s not such a bad state. While it may not be a vacation or financial Mecca of the U.S., it can offer much more.

Points to note:

1) While you spend hours in traffic to and from work, (Calif. has one of the highest commute rates in the nation) I have the nation’s best avg. of 12 mins.

2) While you spend over 500k for a 1000 sq ft home in a not-so desirable portion of a metropolitan area, I paid 250 k for a 4000 sq ft new construction home on 2 acres of land in a highly desirable area. (And I’m still 12 mins or less from work/downtown).

3) I don’t have to supplement my homeowners insurance with earthquake coverage.

4) Oklahoma doesn’t have 7 of the top 10 spots for auto theft in the nation. Calif. does…. http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/test4/ So chances are I have my Stang for a while....

4) I’m debt free… Not too bad for someone from a “Dirt poor” state.

5) You bought your Stang from Oklahoma, Nuff said.

Bottom line: Every place has its good and bad points, but generalizing / stereotyping anything is dangerous when one talks from ignorance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
GTNOS said:
I guess it's ridiculous that I got my GT on the X-Plan in California????

:doh:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been in car sales for 12-years and have countless contacts at stores all over the east coast and mid west. I ordered my '06 GT from a salesman at a local Ford store I've known for years. They sell every GT they get for at least $5K over sticker. They did me a favor and sold me my car for MSRP. I work for the 2nd largest auto sales group in the US,(150+ stores) and we can't buy this car at this time for less than MSRP. Find a store that will order you one for MSRP. That way you'll get one. Oh, and don't email one of those goofy "low bid" letters to several dealers. Those get passed around the showroom all day and generate a lot of laughter before being "filed". There are many cars that aren't discounted. It's nothing personal, it's just the market. We happen to be fans of the most reasonably priced one out there! That's my point. Good luck, and hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alpha Dog 1811 said:
Looking for some help here…..What is the best method to purchase a 2006 GT.

1.Purchase via X-plan: I am eligible for this discount which takes about 2K off the MSRP (window sticker) no haggle – fixed discounted price.

2.Purchase via discount membership benefit: Members of Costco have this service. No haggle fixed discounted price.

3.Autoland: Car-buying service (you give them your order and they fax to dealerships) no haggle.

4.Haggle, Haggle, Haggle with the sales guy! Should I go and negotiate at the local dealership? Time is on my side, no hurry to purchase.

5. Contact dealer internet sales staff?

I see the in the Southern California area that GT’s are starting to stack up on the dealer lots. Several local dealers have the GT’s marked up from $3.5K to $7K above MSRP!(and the mark-up stickers are sun faded from sitting on the lot for the past couple of months)...however these marked up’ed GT’s don’t seem to be moving!

Any advice or recommendations!!!!!!!!!
I bought mine at Xplan off the dealer floor about a month ago. Contact John at Bob Allen Ford in Kansas at 913-381-3000 - they may even be able to dropship it to wherever you are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't quite have my car yet (any day now), but I worked with Ed Miller at Reynold's Ford in IN. Used x-plan, order dates are in my sig. He's a great guy. I'll PM you his email address since I don't think we are supposed to post them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I originally ordered my 05GT thru Costco and come to find out 5 months later that I wasn't going to get my car. I wrote and called Costco and Ford Corporate and got no response. I was able to piece together what happened thanks to this website. ALLOCATIONS... I gave up on $500 over invoice and found my exact car in Davis California. Bought it over the phone at sticker including delivery to my house near Seattle. If a dealer wants a sale, they'll make one, but make sure you talk to the Sales Manager, not some lackey.

Funny thing though, when I first called them the salesman wanted $3000 over sticker and I said no way, then I called back and asked to speak to the manager. He sold me the car and had the salesman call me back and apologize for being a a__hole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts