Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon All...... Me again. So I decided to not spend money on the 2-Step..... so now looking at Short Throw Shifters. I see MGW and Steeda Tri-Ax are the front runners. I definitely want a low profile shifter. Just seeing what shifters you all think are the best bang for the buck! Thanks......

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I've had this one for over 14 years, no complaints and does what I need it to do.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
Roush is probably fine, and I'm pretty surew pikapp is talking about road racing use, so if it works for him it should work for you too

they used to say that the Steeda Tri-Ax was one of the best for our cars (5-speed TR-3650 transmission, not the later 6-speed) ; lately it seems the consensus is that MGW is the "best" but that is usually in context of the later years, so I am not sure

make sure you get the 2010-specific model, I believe there were some small changes that make it different from the earlier years (and completely different from later years)

Reactions: AMY2010GT

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
Some time later this year, I plan to install an MGW Race-Spec shifter. It seems to be the top shifter for my model (2014), but that may not be the case for yours.

·
Registered
316 Posts
MGW and Barton I have heard a lot of fans of, with MGW being best. MGW + Blowfish support is the golden pillar for solid shifts (plus AMP bronze bushings for the remote shifter if OEM plastic ones are worn).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roush is probably fine, and I'm pretty surew pikapp is talking about road racing use, so if it works for him it should work for you too

they used to say that the Steeda Tri-Ax was one of the best for our cars (5-speed TR-3650 transmission, not the later 6-speed) ; lately it seems the consensus is that MGW is the "best" but that is usually in context of the later years, so I am not sure

make sure you get the 2010-specific model, I believe there were some small changes that make it different from the earlier years (and completely different from later years)
Will do! Thanks for the heads up!

MGW and Barton I have heard a lot of fans of, with MGW being best. MGW + Blowfish support is the golden pillar for solid shifts (plus AMP bronze bushings for the remote shifter if OEM plastic ones are worn).
Great! Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Actually, the AMP bronze bushings may be redundant with the MGW as their website says something about including remote shifter bushings. Anyhow, I listed out the pieces that I know of.

Glad to help! :) @AMY2010GT

·
Registered
267 Posts
I picked up an MGW Flatstick awhile back. Huge difference in feel and accuracy. I should add tho, I already had the bronze bushings (yes they do fit on the shifter side) so that also helped. The MGW Flatstick shifter does come with x2 blue bushings on the bottom of the shifter. But in my case, I just pulled them and used the bronze bushings. No fitment issues.

And pro tip. Use loctite on the single 10mm bolt that bolts to the trans case with the provided lock washer! Mine backed out (didn't loctite when I installed) and I had no shifter...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good Afternoon All...... Me again. So I decided to not spend money on the 2-Step..... so now looking at Short Throw Shifters. I see MGW and Steeda Tri-Ax are the front runners. I definitely want a low profile shifter. Just seeing what shifters you all think are the best bang for the buck! Thanks......
We installed the short shifter from Hurst with the new clutch in our 06 Gt. Its a nice shifter , great quality built unit if you like the true 60's manual tranny feel and mechanical clunk shifter sound when going thru the gears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts