Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take the plunge and get a smartphone. It will be an iPhone 4S or an Android phone (Bionic or Thunderbolt, most likely), but I have no allegiance. What I want to know is which phone integrates best with Sync?

I have a 2011 Mustang GT with the nav option.

I don't want to turn this into an iPhone/Android debate - I just want to know which integrates best (best features through Sync, can be accessed via Sync, can show text on the nav screen, best app for Sync, etc., etc.). If they are equal, that is fine, too. I have checked syncmyride.com, and they look about equal from what I can tell.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I dont have the nav on mine but Sync works great with my iPhone

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
+1 on the Iphone, works great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The wife has a Droid Bionic, BTW it's an awesome phone and it's well with her focus sync

·
Registered
41 Posts
My iphone works well with the sync in my wife's Escape.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My iphone works great. I can be a bit "challenged" at times with electronics, but I had zero problems syncing my iphone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a droidx and the wife has a droid. Both synced up easily and work great.

I can't find a single smart phone that does text over bluetooth. If you look at the ford list of phones that work with that feature they are all really old phones. None of the apple or droid phones support that feature.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have a blackberry in the stang, and the wife uses the iphone in the expy, both cars have navi as well. Haven't had issues with either, but i have heard that sync can read the texts received on some droid phones. Haven't seen it first hand, but there definitely is a text message feature on both our cars that does not work with either of our phones. :nono:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pretty sure you should have a list of phones included in your sync manual that are compatible. It is extensive. Wife has an iphone which works great. I have a Samsung Galaxy S that does not work so great but it is not listed as a compatible phone.

My next phone will most likely by an iphone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pretty sure you should have a list of phones included in your sync manual that are compatible. It is extensive. Wife has an iphone which works great. I have a Samsung Galaxy S that does not work so great but it is not listed as a compatible phone.

My next phone will most likely by an iphone.
Mine Galaxy S doesnt work well in my friends focus but no idea about the stang (shouldnt matter anyway) since it arrives Monday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
where is the ford SYNC expert?

There was a Ford Rep in here who specialized in electronics/sync, I saw him on 1 thread and then he seemed to disappear! Sync has been such a disapointment to me, no apps, no apparent development, and my main question is what phone does work with texting in the sync display? I too have only seen references to older phones

Any help from FoMoCo?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the windows 7 phone. It works with the text messaging. It did not at first, but I did the most recent update to the phone and the text feature started working.

It's pretty cool, shows a little message box on the display, then you push the radio play button and it reads the text. It does sound like a 10 year old illiterate drunk but it's pretty cool gimmicky feature.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ve had both an android and iPhone with my sync and the both seemed to work about the same except that occasionally with my iPhone it reports phone book not available which never happened with android. I don't think it makes much difference - pick the phone you like better.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't get an Evo 4G. They have a lot of issues with Sync.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have the Samsung Infuse/Droid format...horrible. My iPhone I had prior worked great. I have had to reset it and re link it almost every day I have wanted to use it. Wish I had gotten an iPhone again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Kbond:
do you have a 2011 or 2012? the sync is different, do you have navagation?

Thanks, i am in the car alot, daily driver and i am on the road alot texting would be great for me
thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Sensation and it connects over Sync perfectly. Worked fine even in the Focus and Fusion rentals I had.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Those folks who told you "iPhone" are smoking their socks. iPhone will work with SYNC but you will not get all the features. One feature that will not work with iPhone is the "talk text". The car actually reads the incoming texts to you and you simply talk back to reply and it types it for you. :bigthumbsup

The complete functionality of SYNC can only be utilized with a Driod X or Droid Galaxy. The iPhone will allow you to use some of the features but not all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 from an iPhone 3GS. I'm having issues establishing a connection with the Galaxy S2 that I never had on the iPhone. I can pair with no problem and once I'm connected everything works great, but its takes 5 times sometimes more to connect to the phone from Sync. My iPhone never had this issue. If this continues I'm going to return the phone. I don't want to waste 2-3 minutes screwing around with the radio every time I get in the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts